Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4 Axis?!?

8 hours ago, stev.tox said:

Do I have to purchase the license or an add in to have 4-axis milling machine as a feature?

Pretty sure you can do 4 axis indexing (no continuous rotary movement) with any license. If you want to move all 4 axis  simultaneously you would need a multi axis license.

4 hours ago, jlw™ said:

You can use one of the free ones.  Just get in contact with your school's dealer and they'll hook you up.  However, your school should already have posts for their machines.

Well I’m currently at school and it only shows me a vertical mill as an option. 

66842A31-10B3-4786-9312-1D0754E27BA7.jpeg

1 hour ago, stev.tox said:

Well my instructor was really vague about it. He just said that they don’t have the license for fhs multi axis feature.

Odd. Maybe he doesn't know 4 axis stuff? Or they aren't ready to teach it yet?

But like Jeff.D said, that MPFAN post is a 4 axis post by default.

1 hour ago, jeff said:

Odd.

1 hour ago, jeff.D said:

The post linked to Mill Default (mpfan.pst) is a 4-axis post.

2 hours ago, stev.tox said:

Well my instructor was really vague about it. He just said that they don’t have the license for fhs multi axis feature.

He talks about Multi axis toolpaths / programming. Which would require a Multi Axis license. And if the project requires making something then it will need a full license to post to the machine.

Still unclear if he actually needs Multi axis.

1 hour ago, jeff said:

Maybe he doesn't know 4 axis stuff?

I'd say this is true. At least yet. Hopefully we will be able to help him out and at least point him in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

He talks about Multi axis toolpaths / programming. Which would require a Multi Axis license. And if the project requires making something then it will need a full license to post to the machine.

Still unclear if he actually needs Multi axis.

I'd say this is true. At least yet. Hopefully we will be able to help him out and at least point him in the right direction.

im trying to do this same concept but with a different part

9 minutes ago, stev.tox said:

im trying to do this same concept but with a different part

I'm not sure if a 4 axis license is necessary to make that (can't remember the limitations). But that's not using 4 axis simultaneous. And he's only using 3 axis toolpaths.

What is the machine you're wanting to do this on? 

Does your program need to be complete or do you just need to make the part? Or can you just program one feature and hand edit in the 4th axis rotations then cut that feature again?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jeff said:

I'm not sure if a 4 axis license is necessary to make that (can't remember the limitations). But that's not using 4 axis simultaneous. And he's only using 3 axis toolpaths.

What is the machine you're wanting to do this on? 

Does your program need to be complete or do you just need to make the part? Or can you just program one feature and hand edit in the 4th axis rotations then cut that feature again?

I’m not really going make the part come to life. My Instructor just wants me to make a small presentation of how it’s made.

37 minutes ago, stev.tox said:

I’m not really going make the part come to life.

You should be good to go. No multi axis license needed for indexing (the multi axis word here is sales pitch).

Start by making a copy of TOP and call it A0.

Then use rotate planes command and rotate around the selected axis to generate your planes. The most important thing is:

At this point you are creating a plane, not a rotation angle for cutter motion. Cutter motion is RELATIVE to material movement so your rotation angle for cutter motion will always be the opposite of the direction of rotation to generate the plane.

So Rotate plane 60 degrees gives a machine (cutter path) rotation of -60 (or 300) degrees. 

Good luck!

29 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

You should be good to go. No multi axis license needed for indexing (the multi axis word here is sales pitch).

Start by making a copy of TOP and call it A0.

Then use rotate planes command and rotate around the selected axis to generate your planes. The most important thing is:

At this point you are creating a plane, not a rotation angle for cutter motion. Cutter motion is RELATIVE to material movement so your rotation angle for cutter motion will always be the opposite of the direction of rotation to generate the plane.

So Rotate plane 60 degrees gives a machine (cutter path) rotation of -60 (or 300) degrees. 

Good luck!

Thank you! Now one more question. I’m using two machine group. How do I use the same stock as the one in machine group one (mill) and place it on machine group 2 (lathe)?

1 minute ago, stev.tox said:

Thank you! Now one more question. I’m using two machine group. How do I use the same stock as the one in machine group one (mill) and place it on machine group 2 (lathe)?

It's a little tricky because Lathe and Mill deal with stock and stock display differently. I think the only way would be to actually model the result of the mill op. Unless you can use STOCK MODEL option. Something I am not familiar with because I use .STLs as they are more stable for me.

You can use .STLs to display stock on the part in lathe by using the display stock in your Mill machine group. The problem you will have is that, in lathe, there is no real way to select a CAD file (which .STL is)  as a starting point for lathe (stock). You can only select a solid (which .STL is not). Converting .STL to solid not possible in MC.

There are several toolpaths in Mill which allow you to start with an .STL as your stock.