Cam62

Mastercam Lathe 2017 NC code issue?

Recommended Posts

When executing the following NC file (attached) the code will stop on the second last line of G code???? Stops at T0200 with M30 &
% not being executed. Lathe turret is returned to the home position and spindle stops.

Another weird thing is absolute co-ordinates of this particular lathe (Mori-Seiki SL-250-48) are X 0.0000, Z 4.4680. Not sure if these need to be input into Mastercam when setting up toolpaths, etc before running G code generator. I've programmed it both ways and doesn't seem to have an effect. I've also noticed on the machines controller (Fanuc) that sometimes the absolute co-ordinates change from X 0.0000, Z 4.4680 to something else but will default back......

Any insight would be appreciated.

 

121885-8.NC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cam62 said:

Any insight would be appreciated.

This would be a Mastercam issue if there were no M30 being output. Mastercam is responsible for the code, how the machine responds to it is a machine issue. This might mean that you need to change the post to give code the machine accepts, but the fact that you don't mention any alarm indicates we don't have all the facts. 

There are just so many ways these machines can be set up that it probably has some special parameter settings for whatever reason .

Is this a new machine to your shop?

Do you have a Operation/ Programming Manual. Alternate file end codes are not that uncommon, but you need to know what they are and if they are enabled (the latter can usually be done b trial and error, but it is best to find out how it was set up and why, you might only be addressing part of the problem). 

When you say 

1 hour ago, Cam62 said:

absolute co-ordinates of this particular lathe (Mori-Seiki SL-250-48) are X 0.0000, Z 4.4680.

What screen are you getting this number from? Normally the current absolute value changes as the program runs. Is it an Offset value? Is there a number in the Common Offset?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We upgraded to Mastercam 2017 recently. Previous we ran a very old version (Dos Based) manually drawn GE3 files, etc BUT old Mastercam would generate M30 code and lathe would execute no problem. I tried moving the M5 code up one line to the G28 U0 W0 line as is in some of the old NC files but didn't change outcome. We also had to have tech in to change out a bad board in the controller and reload machine parameters so I thought that may have cause some issues but again, old files run and machine will execute past M30 code.

As for absolute value I am getting it from main screen and this is when sending turret back to Z0 X0 position. Machine seems to still run okay and knows where it is. If I try to "offset" cutters .500 then I will get an overtravel axis error. I have also done this in the past to test out a program away from material. We do have an operator/programming manual I can look at but still didn't understand why the old NC paths ran with same coding.

Thanks for your response nickbe10.

I am a newbie to this and no one to draw from here at my place of employment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the parameters were reset, try a M2 instead of a M30.

Call the tech and ask him. sounds like it was set to a M30 before the board went bad.

Its been a long time since I ran a older Mori lathe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cam62 said:

Thanks for your response nickbe10.

Also look at the safety line and initialization codes at the top of the program of old and new programs. You might be in a different mode without realizing it.

The clue is in the code somewhere......try Cimco file compare on an old and new file. 

3 hours ago, Cam62 said:

As for absolute value I am getting it from main screen

I wonder if it is set up for G30? This is the same as G28 but allows 2 different home positions. One for tool change and the other for pallet change is a typical use for this set up on horizontal mills. Try replacing G28 with G30.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, nickbe10 said:

This would be a Mastercam issue if there were no M30 being output. Mastercam is responsible for the code, how the machine responds to it is a machine issue. This might mean that you need to change the post to give code the machine accepts, but the fact that you don't mention any alarm indicates we don't have all the facts. 

There are just so many ways these machines can be set up that it probably has some special parameter settings for whatever reason .

Is this a new machine to your shop?

Do you have a Operation/ Programming Manual. Alternate file end codes are not that uncommon, but you need to know what they are and if they are enabled (the latter can usually be done b trial and error, but it is best to find out how it was set up and why, you might only be addressing part of the problem). 

When you say 

What screen are you getting this number from? Normally the current absolute value changes as the program runs. Is it an Offset value? Is there a number in the Common Offset?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, Machineguy said:

If the parameters were reset, try a M2 instead of a M30.

Call the tech and ask him. sounds like it was set to a M30 before the board went bad.

Its been a long time since I ran a older Mori lathe.

Funny thing here. I redid my program as I had to add another roughing toolpath and left the M30 command in and now the machine recognizes it???? We did have this machine repaired by both Fanuc and Mori Seiki technicians as had problem losing parameters and bad board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, nickbe10 said:

Also look at the safety line and initialization codes at the top of the program of old and new programs. You might be in a different mode without realizing it.

The clue is in the code somewhere......try Cimco file compare on an old and new file. 

I wonder if it is set up for G30? This is the same as G28 but allows 2 different home positions. One for tool change and the other for pallet change is a typical use for this set up on horizontal mills. Try replacing G28 with G30.

I would have hoped that the techs that recently worked on this machine would not have set any parameters for a mill as it is a lathe. The Fanuc "tech" spent one whole day and could not get lathe to run correctly, then we had to call a Mori Seiki "tech" and he spent two days and got us up to running. I have found a few "hiccups" since he has left. I cannot contact him personally and support is a couple of hours down the road which has to be handled thru our engineering dept which is another story. Again thanks for your insight. I do use the file compare with Cimco......great tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 3:19 AM, Cam62 said:

for a mill as it is a lathe

That's just an example of how it is used. Plenty of lathe guys use it if they want 2 reference positions. Especially on twin turret machines. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Join us!

eMastercam - your online source for all things Mastercam.

Together, we are the strongest Mastercam community on the web with over 56,000 members, and our online store offers a wide selection of training materials for all applications and skill levels.

Follow us