Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpaths, viewsheets and datums

MatthewMachinist

So I though I was making progress with toolpaths but I have hit another brick wall or two.

I have finished all of the machining operations on the jig, but my first machining operation failed on the workpiece. 

I did some problem solving and found that the datum was still set to the corner of the jig not the work stock. So fixing it should be easy. However what has NOT been explained is the relationship between setup sheets and datums.

So I tried to solve the problem by setting the wcs, C and T to the top of the stock, which is called work plane however the moment I click on another viewsheet and click back it has defauted back to where is was. So I don't know how to even set the datum where it needs to be? I have tried dragging the gnomon but that doesn't seem to work.

Regarding setup sheets... are they meant to correlate to machining operations, if for example my first machining operations are performed on the jig itself in main viewsheet... then should my first toolpath name match the viewsheet? I guess I am asking what is the relationship here. The insturctor has also asked us to setup a viewsheet named setup 2, so presumably the 3rd set of machining operations will happen on this viewsheet? So viewsheets correlate with machining operations?dashed.thumb.png.33c74e3a287397eab7c49e7fb93f3b74.png

I am also struggling because my stock is a dotted line outline, for some reason my level 100 is the only level that I can't turn off and on, and even if I select the geometry and select the fattest solid line... it still appears as dashed?

Lastly my mouse wheel scrolls at about one fourth the rate that the insturctors does, I have tried altering this in windows but that makes my scroll speed insanely fast when I close mastercam. Does anyone know where I can alter the mouse scroll speed setting in mastercam?

Thanks,

Matt.