Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pro-E

Reko

I am filling out a questionnaire for a new customer and they are asking if I can open Pro-E files.

I have Mastercam and SolidWorks but I am not certain.

Can someone post a Pro-E file... or perhaps know the answer to this?

Thanks!

Pro-E has its own proprietary file format. Like almost all CAD Systems, it has the ability to also output IGES or STEP.

If the customer wants to send you only the native files, then you would either need a license of Pro-E so you can output a neutral file format, or will need to purchase a copy of Mastercam's native Pro-E translator module.

From what I remember, it is pretty expensive for the translator, but it does work pretty flawlessly.

If you go the neutral route, I have found that fillets, faces, and sometimes entire features, will get missed by the conversion process. The native translator is a good investment, provided you have lots of work from this customer. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

f you go the neutral route, I have found that fillets, faces, and sometimes entire features, will get missed by the conversion process.

There are things you can do on the settings side of Creo/ProE to make these problems go away with almost 100% certainty.  I don't have the instructions off hand, but it's in the history on here.  Been floating around for over a decade.

8 minutes ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

If I remember right, It was cheaper to buy a seat of pro-e over the translator price. hence we have a seat of Pro-e.

I don't know the price of either of them but on the surface, I find that hard to believe.

31 minutes ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

have you priced the gold plated blade expert yet?

I don't even know what that means. I've never used Pro-E or know anything about it. Back when I first heard about it, I was told that it's up there with the other big expensive systems (UG, Catia, etc). Based on that, I find it hard to believe that the translator is more expensive than the software itself. I'm not calling you a liar, or saying that I'm right, I'm just making an observation.

Reko - If you check with your reseller I'm sure they can give you a price for Mastercam's ProE/Creo importer - and it will be much less than the price of a seat of ProE. Also, my seat of SolidWorks "Premium" can import ProE/Creo parts. So depending on the level of SolidWorks you have, maybe yours will too.

#Rekd - there are several other CAD products that product .PRT files. ProE/Creo files will almost always be .PRT.#, rather than just .PRT. We received a ,PRT file from a user recently and they were wondering why neither our ProE/Creo nor our Unigraphics/NX importer would open it. Turns out It was from a product called PROCad.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Reko - If you check with your reseller...

Thanks Pete.

We just bought the Catia translator from our reseller, Axsys Inc, here in Michigan because a new customer wasn't interested in translating the files for us, but they are giving us enough work to justify it.

The question, so far, about Pro-E/Creo was just a questionnaire I needed to fill in an answer to for a potential new customer.

If we get a lot of work from them, we will definitely purchase it, but no need right now.