Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Right Angle Probing

Our new VF2 has the Renishaw tool and spindle probes. We do many jobs that come from the center opening of extruded wave guide stock. One job we have to do we mill all 4 sides holding a dimension to the center. I was wondering if anyone has used a right angle tip inside of a machine for picking up in Z axis in the center of an opening.

Somethig like this.....

image.thumb.png.775d8f1994617c6efa0b3d977b7e7ecd.png

To probe ....

IMG_20190416_080958784.thumb.jpg.6de13126bf7b765d89554d5d4bcb4172.jpg

and set Z for each piece.

2 hours ago, BrianP. said:

I was wondering if anyone has used a right angle tip inside of a machine for picking up in Z axis in the center of an opening.

I would get with Renishaw. There site has a lot of info, but phoning and speaking to a tech will often get stuff not readily accessible on the site.

I have a friend who works as a tech for Mori who has set up a few of these. Imagine everything you have to do for a single tip probe and multiply by 5 with the different macro groups assigned to each ball. Once set up it works well, but methodical install and set-up is required.

We are looking at this for our single turret lathes.

• Like 1

I've done exactly this.  I've even made an angle head to probe with.  This was some time ago and was Acramatic 2100E.  We had to have Siemens come in and modify the control to allow Z positive probing.  I'm not sure if the Haas will allow Z positive probing or not but that would be the first place I would look.  Next you'll need to know the deviation.  I would permanently mount an artifact so that you can "calibrate" occasionally or verify results.  You could even use the top of the fixed jaw.  You only need a known, permanent location to compare against in your probe routine.  It's all very easy if you understand probing cycles.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jlw™ said:

Nah, you can handle this.  Did you find out if Haas can probe in +Z direction?

I will be researching that end of it soon. This is a job that will be coming down the road so I have a little time. Will update when I get it figured out if I get it figured out.

You will need to mount a ring guage in that plane (G19 and/or G18), when calibrating both sides of the star in X and Y. With a ring gauge that is ground to a known thickness, and a gauge block, you can calculate the distance between the Spindle Centerline and the Probe Tip(s).

Renishaw will have Macro Cycles that can run on the 3 different machine planes. So a 'rectangular slot cycle' is used to set the Y and Z Work Offset Registers to the center of the slot, and then you can 'single surface probe' in X to set the end of the part for the X Register.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 6:05 PM, civiceg said:

The Haas NGC template won't let you probe Z+. However, you can program a Z+ single surface by directly using inspection plus routines. Which your Haas has, you just can't use the Haas GUI. 

Hmmm. I will have to email Haas and ask about that. I was told directly by Haas it could not be done with the probe because it will not trigger. The new NGC sucks IMO. I can do stuff faster and better on my 2005 control. Used to be able to paste straight to a program from the old VQC templates if I remember correctly. Now everything needs to be written out using the inspection plus. Always thought one of the best thing about Haas was the controls. Now not so much. And the interlocks have me banging my head against the machine. Can't even turn on a chip conveyor to clean the machine with the doors open. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: