Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

'WINNING' with a Fadal

BTA

We have had a Fadal or two for the last 25ish years. We ran into control limitations in the late 90s. The control just wouldnt contour for crap at any good speed. So we used our Fadals for basic tasks (2d, drilling, simple milling..ect). This last year we bought and installed a couple of 527F controls from Calmotion for about 8K ea. I have to say I wish Fadal would have had this control on it back in the 90s. It came stock with 8gigs of memory...not 422K or 16 megs. It handles 3d contouring at a few hundred inches a minute. Our biggest hurdle is now the spindle speed is limited to 10K rpm. But we use that at 2-400ipm contouring with a pretty heavy chip load. Giving a little more life to these dinosaurs is very helpful.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, BTA said:

We have had a Fadal or two for the last 25ish years. We ran into control limitations in the late 90s. The control just wouldnt contour for crap at any good speed. So we used our Fadals for basic tasks (2d, drilling, simple milling..ect). This last year we bought and installed a couple of 527F controls from Calmotion for about 8K ea. I have to say I wish Fadal would have had this control on it back in the 90s. It came stock with 8gigs of memory...not 422K or 16 megs. It handles 3d contouring at a few hundred inches a minute. Our biggest hurdle is now the spindle speed is limited to 10K rpm. But we use that at 2-400ipm contouring with a pretty heavy chip load. Giving a little more life to these dinosaurs is very helpful.

Does Calmotion guarantee parts and support for a certain number of years?

Well thats the nice thing about the control. If you want them to make a change like increase the lube timing they will. They stand behind the product. Cant remember the warranty time. All Fadals had different lube time intervals. I think the bigger ones were every 6 minutes, smaller were 8 or was it the other way. Ballscrews are consumables. Expect to go through them 5-10 years. We have had the same X and Y on a machine that is 25 years old. It has been absolutely pounded on. I guess good clean lube is what kept it in shape.

3 minutes ago, BTA said:

Hard to imagine lube lifting the table. It barely blurbs out. 🤣

this was 20 yrs ago now,there was a line in the cavity every inch or so, finally figured out it was when the oil  pumped every 10 minutes ,

op put a indicator on it and it was almost .0005

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Does Linux CNC support look-ahead high feed codes yet?  5 axis dynamic work offsets?

It has TCP although I'm not sure if you could switch in and out of modes.

It has g64 .1 p value.

So you can set the amount of deviation for high-speed paths I haven't experimented with it too much

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:04 AM, Fred@Slate industries said:

High end Machine tools use Grease  Not Way oil , hmmmm

I remember a mates place (old Customer of mine) that had a cell of 630 Horis of a well known brand.

Come the 2008 "crash" they sat for some time doing nothing. When the work got turned back on they got fired up and shortly one machine was making a lot of noise and the screws went (I'm thinking rails too but can't remember).

While the tech was in looking at it, the machine next to it started to whine too. And that one had let go.

The nub was where the machines had stood, the grease packs solidified and no lube was getting out.

Gimme oil any and every day!

• Like 1