Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finding centerline of letters

MIL-TFP-41

I am sure I am doing this the hard way....

When engraving letters of a font like arial, is there an easy way to generate the center contour? Like on this screen shot I attached....I don't want to outline the inner & outer letter profile, I want to just do the middle. I have tried using the medialaxis c-hook with limited success (only works in the top WCS & not very well)

Screen Shot 008.JPG

10 minutes ago, Fred@Slate industries said:

Figure out the center distance 

039 wide = .0197 etc

Now I do an offset curve from one of the edges.

Takes some quick trimming and a little clean up here and there.

* If you have text / Dims etc. You cant chain use Break ( lines ) ? and now you can.

Yes, Ive done similar in the past, & it does work well...till you run across something like this. Then I try MedialAxis, and wind up with a bunch of zero length lines.

Screen Shot 009.JPG

I do this all the time.   3/64 ball EM .012 offset , no comp.  looks great.  yes you have to chain the inside. it goes quick once you get into it.

Untidtled.thumb.png.473e974556ae09a92c9557c2cc919dab.pngUntitlwed.thumb.png.5f0113394caa9572aa494497f6a73835.pngUntitled.thumb.png.4219ab15a75c746dd745d259a7fe0d35.png

I much prefer "Contour" over the "engraving" option. mostly were just cutting colored laminol. if steel i'll use "contour ramp"  .75°