Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing smoothing setting in or out of cut?

I was watching my machine cut a flowline surface, and it will do the cut just how I want, then decelerate to make the corner to pick up, decelerate to make the corner to feed back (at a programmed 833IPM), decelerate to make the corner to feed down, then cut again.  Has anyone set up their post to apply different smoothing / accuracy / HSM settings for the back-feed?  I might hand code some in to see how it works.

Matt do you understand what you just explained with Accelerate and Decelerate parameters? You're asking the post to be kinematic aware and take Accelerate and Decelerate parameters a machine uses and apply them for feed output. The machine that has correct settings for the type of work you're doing is as unique as each machine is. There are things in Mastercam to output code, but not to the level you're seeing the machine take into account. Break down the math with force and momentum from each mass element of each axis. Then you have to then apply the same calculations with each different weight you're putting on a moving table. I had to do some of these when I took Calculus back in the early 90's and these can get very deep quickly. 

So as you know, I'm running a Haas VF-3SS.  It uses G187 for "high feed" settings.  G187 P1 E.030 means a loose, smooth roughing motion, while G187 P3 E.002 means slow down more in corners to achieve higher accuracy for finishing.  What I'm thinking is to toggle between these two modes depending on whether we're in the cut or in the back-feed, because as it is the machine doesn't know which we're doing and slows down to maintain precision on the back-feed.  As I understand it the hardest part would be having the post figure out whether any given move is in the cut or not.  The control does the kinematically aware bit already.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

So as you know, I'm running a Haas VF-3SS.  It uses G187 for "high feed" settings.  G187 P1 E.030 means a loose, smooth roughing motion, while G187 P3 E.002 means slow down more in corners to achieve higher accuracy for finishing.  What I'm thinking is to toggle between these two modes depending on whether we're in the cut or in the back-feed, because as it is the machine doesn't know which we're doing and slows down to maintain precision on the back-feed.  As I understand it the hardest part would be having the post figure out whether any given move is in the cut or not.  The control does the kinematically aware bit already.

I don't know about all the other stuff, I leave it to the smart people like you 2.  But.... I tried backfeeds of 500IPM on older, non SS Haas, and it cuts into the parts when in backfeed, missing corners that it shouldn't cut, MC may know that theres material there, but the machine has no idea.  Whenever I use that machine I don't go higher than 250 on the backfeed.  You might want to be careful.  My 2c...

• Like 1