Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing the Moon's surface

Metallic

I have this curious project to be made from acrylic...and maybe my customer's incoming model is not ideal for such a thing, but has anyone ever done surfacing of the Moon's surface topography before? They customer got this from getting at NASA scanning data of the topography but I am not sure if they did it right, or even how they did it. Its bogging the crap out of my system and causing crashes left and right, not to mention the striated surfaces that aren't stitched at all.

I would share the file but it is about 50MB, so here is a screenshot of what I mean. You can see the lag of the selection window when I did a Snip.

Any alternative ideas or models?

moon.JPG

I did a bunch of machining similar to this many years ago. Mastercam wasn't up to the task so we used Artcam from Delcam. It was amazing. It took literally seconds to create toolpaths that would take Mastercam hours to generate. The toolpaths from Artcam made the machine run smooth as silk.

Carmen

On 4/19/2019 at 11:44 AM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

You can toolpath directly on an STL without converting it to surfaces; may be faster.

Yes sir. Use the STL of the surface only and you can machine it like so:

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to save space
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Yes sir. Use the STL of the surface only and you can machine it like so:

image.thumb.png.13d3ce038a2cd1fe22f6c05fdd719786.png

Can you explain this a little further? I spent the time to use the Solidworks Scanto3D add in to get a really un-detailed surface model. I will modify it and get one that is more refined, but it looks like this:

scan23d.JPG

On 4/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

You can toolpath directly on an STL without converting it to surfaces; may be faster.

The number of STL surfaces to select for this would be so cumbersome. Is that what youre suggesting?

16 minutes ago, Metallic said:

The number of STL surfaces to select for this would be so cumbersome. Is that what youre suggesting?

I tried it for kicks.  I downloaded an STL from NASA, imported it straight into Mastercam, scaled it down to a 1 foot square, and threw a surface parallel toolpath on it.  One selection click to select the whole STL.  Made a stock model to verify the results.

Lunar Tile 01.PNG

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

Would of the FTP helped with sharing this file. I notice that no one uses any more?

Jay,

Is the FTP still up? A new forum member asked me about it just recently.