Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Having trouble with speeds and feeds

Lazarusman

Because I'm actually making parts. My company wanted a demo version of MasterCAM to see if they wanted to use it. They wouldn't just take my word for it lol. Problem is, MasterCAM is outputting code that isn't actually working with my machine. I can't tap at all, and my speeds and feeds on everything else is not quite right. It makes it harder to make the claim that this software is far superior to what they have, currently. FeatureCAM...and it sucks.

Sounds like you're not actually using the Demo version but a full version on a 30-day temp license....

I do find it curious that a reseller won't support it as that's how they'll make an eventual sale...

That said, setting your speeds and feeds is something you either do as you create path or, if you save tools to a library, you can then get it to import those speeds and feeds by going into the Toolpath group manager >> Properties >> Tool settings and click Use Tools step, peck and coolant...that will add your speeds and feeds as you use tools out of your library.

I do question the wisdom of trying to sell a company on a new CAM system when you're not really sure how to use it already.....kind of setup to fail IMNSHO

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Old_Bear said:

Sounds like you're not actually using the Demo version but a full version on a 30-day temp license....

Now I see. The Demo version is a stripped down version that can't save, will only analyze to .XX, won't post code (or will post limited code), etc. That's why I answered the way I did above.

Any speeds and feeds Mastercam gives you are at best a ballpark starting point.  It's up to you to determine the best speeds and feeds for your specific application.  I recommend HSMAdvisor (free trial available and full license very affordable) and Helical's Machining Advisor Pro (free but for their specific tools, pick what's closest to what you're using).  There's also G-Wizard, which I've heard is good but haven't used.