Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DOVE TAIL JAWS BROKEN

IM USING DOVE TAIL JAWS FROM (V75100-5R) WWW.FIFTHAXIS.COM . I RECENTLY JUST BOUGHT A FEW MORE SETS BUT THEY SEEM TO KEEP BREAKING ON ME. ITS LIKE THE PART IS WEDGING UNDER THE JAW.  IVE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE BUT IT DID NOT HAPPEN THIS OFTEN. THIS IS A JOB WE HAVE BEEN RUNNING  FOR  MONTHS WE HAD JAWS BREAK BUT AROUND THE 1500 PIECES MARK ITS AN AWKWARD CUT BUT NOW IM GETTING MAYBE 150-200 PARTS BEFORE I HAVE PROBLEMS. SAME PROGRAM SAME OPERATOR SAME END MILLS (DATA FLUTE)  ANY IDEAS?

MATERIAL--INCO 718 HARDENED 

We use these same vises....if you are maintaining the max torque that they recommend and these are breaking, it may be that they are too hard...

We have had pins on our RockLock setups  crack, because they were too hard.

Reach out to 5th Axis and go over it with them, they have stood by every one of their products in use on our facility.

24 minutes ago, Rocketmachinist said:

Have you tried yelling at them?

UMM OF COARSE THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I DID. THEN I WAS REALLY NICE TO THEM. PLAYED GOOD COP BAD COP THEM SONS OF FEMALE DOGS ARE STILL GIVING ME JAW DROPPING PROBLEMS. BUT I THINK THE  OLD BEAR     IS RIGHT MAYBE THEY ARE TO HARD/ BRITTLE. ATLEAST THATS WHAT IM GOING TO RUN WITH BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA THINGS RAN GREAT NOW THEY ARENT. BUT THAT GOES FOR A FEW THINGS HERE.  THANKS GUYS FOR NOTHING JK

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, MATT@CNC said:

UMM OF COARSE THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I DID. THEN I WAS REALLY NICE TO THEM. PLAYED GOOD COP BAD COP THEM SONS OF FEMALE DOGS ARE STILL GIVING ME JAW DROPPING PROBLEMS. BUT I THINK THE  OLD BEAR     IS RIGHT MAYBE THEY ARE TO HARD/ BRITTLE. ATLEAST THATS WHAT IM GOING TO RUN WITH BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA THINGS RAN GREAT NOW THEY ARENT. BUT THAT GOES FOR A FEW THINGS HERE.  THANKS GUYS FOR NOTHING JK

ALL Capital LETTERS ON A FORUM IS A SIGN OF Disrespect AND IS CONSIDERED YELLING. So how about turning off your caps locks and let us know you are in fact respectful of others. Thank you and yes this happens from time to time, but I would like to see more than some cracked jaws. I would want to see your process and then I could make a better determination as to what is the complete problem here.

4 hours ago, Rocketmachinist said:

Have you tried yelling at them?

Truly amusing, not as amusing as the response tho'!

5 hours ago, MATT@CNC said:

ITS LIKE THE PART IS WEDGING UNDER THE JAW.

Are these 60 degree dovetails?

Have you got a good flat on the acute corner of the dovetail to stop them bottoming out?

How hard is the Inconel ? Relative to the jaw ?

• Haha 1

ultra dumb question,

are you sure the dovetails machined in your stock are correct ??

what if someone machined a bunch of stock with reground dovetail cutters that weren't ground properly

or the dovetails are cut too deep and the corner is bottoming out in the vice jaw and not engaging fully

it's highly unlikely, but possible

On 4/26/2019 at 1:32 PM, nickbe10 said:

Truly amusing, not as amusing as the response tho'!

Are these 60 degree dovetails?

Have you got a good flat on the acute corner of the dovetail to stop them bottoming out?

How hard is the Inconel ? Relative to the jaw ?

no the jaws are 45 deg. dove tail. i tested the hardness on our rockwell hardness tester "c" scale.

new jaws are 45 on the "c" scale

old jaws are 54 on the "c" scale

the jaws are both from the same company same part number but the test shows they are quite different 

3 minutes ago, MATT@CNC said:

no the jaws are 45 deg. dove tail.

Problem with 45 degree dovetails is the  mechanical advantage the angle gives you with the "wedge" affect. Remember the purpose of the tool, it is to clamp and also pull the stock onto the surface. Usually this results in the part jamming on the dovetail and having to be knocked loose for removal.

With the Inconel I think the material is just winning the strength/toughness contest. 

60 degree dovetails will give less "wedge"effect and will be stronger on both sides of the dovetail (part and tool).

11 minutes ago, MATT@CNC said:

new jaws are 45 on the "c" scale

old jaws are 54 on the "c" scale

I would expect the lower hardness to help you out here as they should not be so brittle.

My money is on the dovetail angle for the fix.

26 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Problem with 45 degree dovetails is the  mechanical advantage the angle gives you with the "wedge" affect. Remember the purpose of the tool, it is to clamp and also pull the stock onto the surface. Usually this results in the part jamming on the dovetail and having to be knocked loose for removal.

With the Inconel I think the material is just winning the strength/toughness contest. 

60 degree dovetails will give less "wedge"effect and will be stronger on both sides of the dovetail (part and tool).

I would expect the lower hardness to help you out here as they should not be so brittle.

My money is on the dovetail angle for the fix.

Thank very much i will look into getting some new cutters and jaws at 60deg. to see if it helps.  

• 3 months later...