Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th Axis programming

I have a couple 4th axis parts I need to program, setup, and run on an Okuma OSP Control programming in Mastercam 2019.  Only problem is ive never programmed or setup or ran 4th Axis in the VMC.  (I have setup and ran 4 axis HMC's and 5 axis VMC's)  Anybody have any advice on where to learn this fast?  

On 4/26/2019 at 7:47 PM, andrew31484 said:

(I have setup and ran 4 axis HMC's and 5 axis VMC's) 

The important thing to be aware of and ascertain first is how the systems are set up.

VMCs are set up as TOP/TOP so the axis arrangement reflects the Mastercam origin.

HMCs are usually set up in one of two ways.

TOP/TOP like the VMCs. Axis arrangement again reflect Mastercam origin with X axis selected for rotation on VMCs and Y axis an HMCs.

TOP/FRONT the system is set up to rotate around Mastercam origin's Z axis. People use this because now left, right... etc. automatically give 0, 90, 190 and 270 rotations.

It is easy to convert programs from one to the other (HMC<>VMC) using TOP/TOP as it only requires translating the model to its new position and generating the new axis rotations.

You can't mix and match so easily with TOP/FRONT because of the internal conflicts in MC. so you really have to reprogram (you can still use any derived geometry)

39 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

You can't mix and match so easily with TOP/FRONT because of the internal conflicts in MC. so you really have to reprogram (you can still use any derived geometry)

Sorry sir, but you are not correct here. It doesn't have to be reprogrammed. You make the correct planes and reassign them through edit common parameters and life if good.

3 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

HMCs are usually set up in one of two ways.

TOP/TOP like the VMCs. Axis arrangement again reflect Mastercam origin with X axis selected for rotation on VMCs and Y axis an HMCs.

TOP/FRONT the system is set up to rotate around Mastercam origin's Z axis. People use this because now left, right... etc. automatically give 0, 90, 190 and 270 rotations.

When I had to do some Hori Grammin, I took my proven VMC (TOP/TOP) post, and spoke nicely with my reseller, and we copied/converted/created a Hori post that was TOP/TOP.

Easy peasy lemon squeazy :D

Yes, you have to create your planes (whereas TOP/FRONT outputs angles automagically), but, View Sheets makes it a doddle, and you then keep VMC/HMC flexibility.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Newbeeee™ said:

and you then keep VMC/HMC flexibility.

I suppose if you have a shop full of horizontals and no verticals it would be OK.

But the real thing I like about sticking with TOP/TOP is that it maintains MC's origin axis labels. Just easier to keep myself oriented on the screen when I'm moving the part around, and you want to rotate around y axis (?), that's what you do, not the Z axis.

Just a personal preference.