Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill-Turn Machine Recommendation

MSL

What kind of tolerances do you hold on that machine? do you use MT products? What do you think about Okuma Multus U?

Our main concern is the accuracy of the machine. We are not a production shop and I don't need to be aggressive on my cuts.

Thank you.

What kind of tolerances do you hold on that machine? do you use MT products? What do you think about Okuma Multus U?

Our main concern is the accuracy of the machine. We are not a production shop and I don't need to be aggressive on my cuts.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, MSL said:

Thank you.

We have a Multus B300II and in two weeks a B250II will be showing up. We run lights out, robot fed. We have a few parts that have +/-.0005 bores in Aluminum. We can set the first piece just slightly above nominal and let in run 100+ parts over night. In the morning when we check parts we usually see about .0003-.0005 max variation in bore size. We also have an Okuma LT3000 twin spindle/twin turret that holds similar tolerance all day. 

• Like 1

I would go with the Multus U series over the B for a flexibility and range of parts you can easily machine stand point. The B Series is a Slant Bed style machine using a compound axis to accomplish Y axis Travel. Where as the U series is a True Y axis machine. Once you understand the size of the parts and work you are looking to do for the machine you are going to purchase then present that to Gosiger and let Sean and them see which one will be better suited for your parts. Y Compound B series means machining parts in Quadrants to machine everything on large parts. Where as with the U series with a True Y axis and it's ability to go below center you have a lot more freedom and capability. 

6 minutes ago, MSL said:

Thank you Ron,

I will definitely go with a True Y axis machine.

Our parts are 99% face milling of patterned features so the slant Y works OK for us. If we had a broader mix of parts I would go with the U series. We are working on a new product line that when finished will need a Multus U or Nak NTRX for production. Those are the two machine I would buy with a true Y.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...