Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread Milling on 4th Axis

Howdy folks, I'm machining up some Titanium and need to thread mill some 6-32's on a curved face.

I've got the holes all drilled with the "Multiaxis Drill" operation just fine. But can't get a Thread Milling option to work.

Only place I'm seeing "Thread Mill" tab is under 2D toolpaths. Tried that with the rotational option on with no luck.

Any suggestions, other than manually programming with G02?

Haas VF3, Mastercam 2019

• 3 weeks later...

Translate by plane works, but IMO it can be dangerous if there is a hole or 2 that is not the same angle as the rest.

I haven't tried  using rotary axis positioning in the rotary axis control for threadmilling, but this works well with drilling and tapping - as long as you use center of rotation.

1 hour ago, JeremyV said:

Translate by plane works, but IMO it can be dangerous if there is a hole or 2 that is not the same angle as the rest.

I haven't tried  using rotary axis positioning in the rotary axis control for threadmilling, but this works well with drilling and tapping - as long as you use center of rotation.

Why I suggested the process I did. I was always thinking you need to spot or center drill the holes. You need to drill the holes. You may need to chamfer the holes before threadmilling. By creating the planes then you have it all worked out for them to make it easy across them. 

I just created independent Work Planes, like the good old days. The holes are actually on a curved surface.. so need to spot face a flat land first.

Just strikes me as odd how easy it is to drill on multiple planes, yet they have no option for thread milling...

Thanks for the help

-j

I've been trying to use the rotary axis positioning for countoring chains instead of planes and that didn't go well for me.  I was really hoping it would make it easier to program, but no such luck.

I've had to use planes to set the rotations due to features on each surface not being the same as the first side.  My shop does a lot of custom parts with the odd angle here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 10:47 AM, jlelievre said:

I just created independent Work Planes, like the good old days. The holes are actually on a curved surface.. so need to spot face a flat land first.

Just strikes me as odd how easy it is to drill on multiple planes, yet they have no option for thread milling...

Thanks for the help

-j

Tread milling in multiple planes is as easy as drilling in 2020. No need to create extra planes. There are some super cool improvements in multiaxis for sure