Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Knurling advice

Roger

I've did some knurling over the years, and it's always been a trial & error method.  Any EXPERTS out there?  Or, any good resources with feed, speeds, etc.  My part is .75 diameter, 304 Stainless steel, with a medium knurl call out over a 1" length.  The knurling tool is .315" wide, so I will have to feed it along the part.

1 hour ago, heavychevy2155 said:

These will make your life so much better.  I've used the CNC Modular System and it is so worth the money!!  They come with recommended speed and feed chart for different dia.

and materials.   

Are you talking about the cutting style, verses the forming style?  What tool path do you use when programing your knurling?  How do you touch off the tool?  Can you share a MC file where you did knurling?

Also, thanks for the advice!!!!

It's been a while since I did lathe work but I've had pretty good success knurling chromoly steel (34CrMo and 42CrMo) using the following guidelines

- The circumference of the workpiece should be dividable by the pitch of knurling wheel. If outer diameter has no specific tolerance then go under general tolerance slightly if necessary. It will grow bigger anyway.
- If mistracking occurs, increase pressure. Do not be afraid of breaking the tool (this always worked for me)
- 50-100 rpm, feed about 1mm per revolution

I fed in with about 30% engagement of the wheel, until I got a "distinct" sound and spindle load percentage rose slightly, then fed axially. In the end, stay put for a few rounds and feed out. Some people advice setting the knurling tool in a slight angle, I didn't however notice much difference.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Roger said:

Are you talking about the cutting style, verses the forming style?  What tool path do you use when programing your knurling?  How do you touch off the tool?  Can you share a MC file where you did knurling?

Also, thanks for the advice!!!!

I use point toolpath when I'm knurling on cnc lathe.

• 4 months later...

I asked my reseller for assistance on knurling.  They simply gave me a finish toolpath using a grooving cutter and slid it on the part.... which prompts me to ask the question of whether that's correct or not.  Then the guy informed me to have my machinist call him when we're ready to run that, cause I have no clue, nor does the machinist on how to set it up since the old man machinist retired, taking all his knowledge with him.