Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

creating a "spiral" wireframe

JB7280

I don't think spiral is the right term.  Maybe flat helix?  I dunno.  Basically, the highlighted wireframe, I want something similar to that, but a smooth, continuous spiral.  Any easy(ish) way to do this?  Also included a picture of what I'm actually looking for.  This is flat, at a constant Z, btw. 

brush.PNG

Capture.PNG

16 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I think this is just a simple helix drawn from the Front View unless I am just totally missing what you are askign for.

I need this to go across the part in an x direction, using an XY interpolation, Z staying constant.  Is that possible with the helix function?  I'm not too familiar.

29 minutes ago, billb said:

Interesting problem.  What about using zSpiral add-in (c-hook) in a rotated view then projecting it (flatten it) in your working view?

Or create a 2D HST Peel or Dynamic peel path and backplot/save path as geometry.

I tried using a line going straight across, then peel milling, but i couldn't get a decent toolpath because of transition moves and whatnot.

1 minute ago, JB7280 said:

I tried using a line going straight across, then peel milling

Why not 2D High Speed? Rectangle of area you want to machine. Avoidance area wrapped around that with one end opened will force it to start from the side you want.

You mention in your topic that you're looking for wireframe. I suspect that you don't want to (not necessarily, anyway) actually create spiral wireframe, but rather a toolpath that will cut in a spiral motion. Correct?

If so, try peel mill using 2 lines. You should be able to get a spiral looking toolpath by tweaking your lead in/out radius.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Old_Bear said:

That's the definition of a Peel Mill....might want to post a file with what you feel is a bad path and let someone get a look...because that should get what you want if I understand what you're trying to do.

It's an abrasive brush.  Not getting great results the way I usually use them, and the rep is asking to run across in a spiral pass like this before we give up on the brush.