Sign in to follow this  
lowcountrycamo

Do you use spring passes on walls. Does material matter.

I always use a spring pass. I wonder if it is a waste of time. I am programming some ti 6al-v4 parts and I am thinking spring passes might be detrimental to tool life. I program mostly 5x trunnion work.

Thanks,

sreve austin

Almost always and in titanium.

Sometimes if the endmill is prone to chatter I don't

51 minutes ago, lowcountrycamo said:

I am programming some ti 6al-v4 parts

Don't do it with inserts. solid carbide knock yourself out. But you are adding additional wear, especially in Ti, so you might not want to get too carried away.

With a decent 50T you shouldn't have to. if you feel you are taking too many, try playing with the stock left during roughing (increase it). By increasing the engagement you might be able to balance, somewhat, the deflection.

If the spindle is like a well cooked noodle then there is little you can do, the material is just too unforgiving. 

Hard for me to give you the best answer. What kind of tolerance are you trying to hold? What are you true position requirements? Profile Tolerance? What do the features your taking spring passes on look like? How think are the sections? What are the holder? What is the Spindle? What is the setup? How long are the endmills? how many flutes are the endmills? How big is the cross section your are finishing? How think is the cross sections your finishing? Are you fixture made out of Aluminum, Steel, SS, 13-8, 15-5 or something else? When you tried not doing it what were the results? What is your spring pass amount?