Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Crap....I messed up....

JB7280

Somehow, half of my mcam file got changed to metric.   My part solid is still in inch, but fixture and just about everything else is in metric.  I tried scaling it all up by a factor of 25.4, which sort of worked until I tried to regenerate everything.   Super hot job and now I think I'm going to have to redo half of my work!!!!

Anyone have an idea??

I attached a Z2G just in case.

3696505.ZIP

23 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Anyone have an idea??

As Programinator says, I don't use the "auto" function though. This can cause problems if it decides it needs to save while you are processing a large toolpath.

Mine saves a copy to the network whenever I save on my PC. You do have to remember to save with this set up.

I personally have never seen anuthing like this, but this would be my first attempt at a fix

"Save Some" the metric stuff to a new file.. then delete it from your original file

Open the new file and scale it to inch.. then merge it back into the origiinal

I prefer the Backup utility

I have backup set up to save 10 copied

That way I always have a copy of my last 10 saves.

If something goes bad, you can review the backup copies going backwards and hopefully find one that is still good

Autosave, will just over write your existing file over and over. If you make a mistake, they is no going back after the first save

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, gcode said:

I personally have never seen anuthing like this, but this would be my first attempt at a fix

"Save Some" the metric stuff to a new file.. then delete it from your original file

Open the new file and scale it to inch.. then merge it back into the origiinal

Sort of what I did.  But it seems like it has changed the tools over to metric as well, so when I try to regenerate, even after rescaling, and repositioning everything, I get tons of errors.    I think it happened from bringing in a model for a fixture component.  

I don't use the "auto" function though. This can cause problems if it decides it needs to save while you are processing a large toolpath

Auto save With Backup is the way to go.  Whats the problem with having autosave on "auto" when processing a large toolpath?  I don't think i have had a problem.  When its done processing then it saves

18 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Sort of what I did.  But it seems like it has changed the tools over to metric as well, so when I try to regenerate, even after rescaling, and repositioning everything, I get tons of errors.    I think it happened from bringing in a model for a fixture component.  

Have you tried opening system config and reloading you inch configuration file

2 minutes ago, Programinator said:

Auto save With Backup is the way to go.  Whats the problem with having autosave on "auto" when processing a large toolpath?  I don't think i have had a problem.  When its done processing then it saves

The problem I've had was Autosave decided to save a large file which might take 30-40 seconds.

I don't realize a save is in progress and continue working.... and bad things happen.

To be fair it has been many years since I used AutoBack.. I got badly burned using it in V9 days

and haven't touched it since.  I'm sure there have been improvements since then

35 minutes ago, Programinator said:

Auto save With Backup is the way to go.

Back when I seriously started Mastercam (X2) It could cause a crash if the auto save kicked in during toolpath regen. Didn't happen every time, but....

Sounds like they have at least added a prompt before saving. and from what you say it appears there is now something internally which prevents the conflict.

So I guess my defense would be "Old habits die hard". 

1 hour ago, gcode said:

Have you tried opening system config and reloading you inch configuration file

Yes, and that's when I got the errors with my tool dimensions.  The good news, is i'm now past the point I was at in the wonky metric file, so it's all good.  I will definitely be setting up a backup or autosave.

Back in V9 days I helped work on a 600mg V9 file

We were always crashing.. and the results were zero byte files after the crash... months of work gone in the blink of an eye

This file took about 40 minutes to open and you had to cool your heels for 5 minutes when you hit save.

We worked on this file for nearly a year and cooked 3 hard drives during that year.

The guy who did most of the work on this file burned a CD of it every night before he shut down for the day

after getting burned a couple of times

• Like 1