Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis positive rotation

Piter69f

I'm struggling with my 5th axis. After post my C axis is going shortest distance for example C-60. instead of C300.

I'm trying to find an option that can change that but no luck.

By rotation in positive direction i want to eliminate adding manual back lash movements every time it goes CCW

Any suggestion appreciated ;) 

*my "axis supports continuous positioning" was set to signed continuous and I changed it to signed direction, and shortest direction and it still post as C-60

This sounds like a recurring Yamazaki nightmare I have.  I would start with machine parameters on this one.  Second to that (I would say most but it's all) all of the bought posts I've seen have a misc integer to force a +/- bias.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:59 AM, Piter69f said:

y rotation in positive direction i want to eliminate adding manual back lash movements every time it goes CCW

g60 on a fanuc. could be hardcoded into the post.

would be helpful to have more info on type of machine and control

On 5/22/2019 at 8:59 AM, Piter69f said:

*my "axis supports continuous positioning" was set to signed continuous and I changed it to signed direction, and shortest direction and it still post as C-60

Is it code, or the machine that is the issue here.  If it is code, then depending on your post you need to look at the misc integers at the operation level in Mastercam.  If it is the machine disregarding the code and going shortest distance, then you need to look at machine parameters.  If you give us some information about the control if it is a machine problem we can likely help point you in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, huskermcdoogle said:

Is it code, or the machine that is the issue here.  If it is code, then depending on your post you need to look at the misc integers at the operation level in Mastercam.  If it is the machine disregarding the code and going shortest distance, then you need to look at machine parameters.  If you give us some information about the control if it is a machine problem we can likely help point you in the right direction.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:18 PM, mkd said:

g60 on a fanuc. could be hardcoded into the post.

would be helpful to have more info on type of machine and control

Hey sorry for late response, i though i have notification set to my post XD

Machine is Niigata with Fanuc control, however my problem is not the machine but code. Attached screen from my Misc Values

I would rather have positive C positioning in a program then using g60. This way it will works on non fanuc machine and will be more clear for machinist.

image.png.04f91f24a6996f0923cb23927a6ffd7c.png

I though the Axis support continuous positioning is my solution but i don't see any difference in posted code.

image.thumb.png.539acdff0d8d8f292f6b8b261d325f1a.png

1 hour ago, Piter69f said:

I would rather have positive C positioning in a program then using g60. This way it will works on non fanuc machine and will be more clear for machinist.

your post should be setup for a specific cnc control/ machine.

if you're posting to a different controller, you should have a separate post/mach. def. configured.

anyhow I don't know how to customize a post to use positive approach, off the top of my head. Maybe one of the post gurus will chime in.

20 minutes ago, mkd said:

your post should be setup for a specific cnc control/ machine.

if you're posting to a different controller, you should have a separate post/mach. def. configured.

anyhow I don't know how to customize a post to use positive approach, off the top of my head. Maybe one of the post gurus will chime in.

The post needs to be configured for this type of behavior. You have some options with the generic, but I don't think to this level. For that precise control you should go to a 3rd party post builder and by looking at that mi mr page your company has. Get a hold of them and they should be able to help get you moving in the right direction.

I just moved to a new place and they have posts for each machine but it seems like they don't care about the way the rotary table is moving.

I was hoping for some easy solution/option in Mastercam to fix it. I never had this problem at my previous work.

Anyway thanks for clearing things out for me.

1 minute ago, Piter69f said:

I just moved to a new place and they have posts for each machine but it seems like they don't care about the way the rotary table is moving.

I was hoping for some easy solution/option in Mastercam to fix it. I never had this problem at my previous work.

Anyway thanks for clearing things out for me.

It is an easy fix and don't give up so easy. You know what you want so do what it needed to make it happen. You can look at the post and see if they have changeable settings to control this. If they do then half of the work is done. Then you change the MMD on that axis and see if it does what you want. If not then you email the reseller who will have their name in the header of the post and talk to them and see what they say. Anything worth doing the right way takes someone willing to make it happen. I have always been that person willing to do what is needed to make it happen. Do you part and you might be surprised how well it is received. If not well received to make things more efficient then you have learned something about the new place you have gone to work for. Either way you will learn something and it it doesn't help you there it will help you some where else.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:14 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

It is an easy fix and don't give up so easy. You know what you want so do what it needed to make it happen. You can look at the post and see if they have changeable settings to control this. If they do then half of the work is done. Then you change the MMD on that axis and see if it does what you want. If not then you email the reseller who will have their name in the header of the post and talk to them and see what they say. Anything worth doing the right way takes someone willing to make it happen. I have always been that person willing to do what is needed to make it happen. Do you part and you might be surprised how well it is received. If not well received to make things more efficient then you have learned something about the new place you have gone to work for. Either way you will learn something and it it doesn't help you there it will help you some where else.

I appreciate your comment. I usually am the person who do what needs to be done, however CNC programming is my temporary/side job here and my main focus is process engineering. So for now I just making a list of thing to change or fix and doing it based on priority of current jobs, but sooner or later I'll address this topic.

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys.

Did you try changing these 'switches' inside the Post to '2'?

pang_output  : 0     #Angle output options, primary
sang_output  : 0     #Angle output options, secondary
                     #0 = Normal angle output
                     #1 = Signed absolute output, 0 - 360
                     #2 = Implied shortest direction absolute output, 0 - 360

Specifically, 'pang_output'...

20 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Did you try changing these 'switches' inside the Post to '2'?

pang_output  : 0     #Angle output options, primary
sang_output  : 0     #Angle output options, secondary
                     #0 = Normal angle output
                     #1 = Signed absolute output, 0 - 360
                     #2 = Implied shortest direction absolute output, 0 - 360

Specifically, 'pang_output'...

To be honest I never edited post, and I'm not sure which files I have to edit. However I have some background with basics of c++ and programming structure, so i feel comfortable of doing it as long as you could guide me to correct file.

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Piter69f said:

To be honest I never edited post, and I'm not sure which files I have to edit. However I have some background with basics of c++ and programming structure, so i feel comfortable of doing it as long as you could guide me to correct file.

Thanks for the help

Get a hold of your Mastercam dealer they are more than glad to help assist with things like this.