Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Exit/entry on an elipse

AMCNitro

2 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

I have to machine an ellipse on mold and it exits fine, but the entry only goes in straight down, no radius or line.  I tried all the settings and several combinations, I even tried breaking the ellipse in 2.

Create your own lead in geometry.

15 minutes ago, Del. said:

Create your own lead in geometry.

I've been using MC for the last 18 years and I've never had to do that.  Can you explain how?

13 minutes ago, htm01 said:

or try lead to center,

if you turn off gauge protection it might work

That did it! Thanks!

1 hour ago, AMCNitro said:

I have to machine an ellipse on mold and it exits fine, but the entry only goes in straight down, no radius or line.  I tried all the settings and several combinations, I even tried breaking the ellipse in 2.

check your geometry carefully

your geometry may be a whole bunch of tiny lines or arcs... and the first entity in your chain is so small

Mastercam can't calculate a lead in move

6 minutes ago, Old_Bear said:

that lead in/lead out would need to be at least 50% of the tool dia

is  that related to the straight line that I would need to use to be able to put wear comp on my stuff?

I was told that is why my circle mill wouldn't take wear comp the other day. does it need to be 50% D as well?

6 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

is  that related to the straight line that I would need to use to be able to put wear comp on my stuff?

I was told that is why my circle mill wouldn't take wear comp the other day. does it need to be 50% D as well?

Wear, no...Wear comp can be .001"   Control comp is a different story though

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

as long as the endmill is bigger than the circle you are milling it should take wear comp

make sure you have "Start at center" checked on the Transition page 

if the endmill diameter is very close to the circle diameter you may have to uncheck "Lead In/Out"

and use "Perpendicular entry"instead, but if that were the case I'd just use a smaller endmill

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Old_Bear said:

If you're using control comp, you might have a problem...that lead in/lead out would need to be at least 50% of the tool dia

Sight unseen tough to know why a simple lead in/lead out won't work...

It did give problems with the comp, but only because I had it way small, when I set the comp at +.005 it worked

1 hour ago, gcode said:

check your geometry carefully

your geometry may be a whole bunch of tiny lines or arcs... and the first entity in your chain is so small

Mastercam can't calculate a lead in move

That was the first thing I checked, at first it was unbroken, then I broke in 2 and it still gave the problem