Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks PDM for CAM files?

My company is about to implement Solidworks PDM for our CAD files, and they're talking about putting my Mastercam, NC, and setup sheet files in there too.  My gut reaction is that this would add overhead without any significant advantages, especially since I'm the only programmer, and presently the only setup person.  Has anyone here gone down that road, that might share some experience?

Thanks

Depending on what you are doing now and how it is implemented, it should be fairly seamless.  For us, it just looks like a folder on our C drive and the system keeps track of everything.  It is definitely the way to go if people are sharing files, and as mentioned, revision control is handled reliably.  If you have a pretty good file and then go down a path that doesn't work out, it makes the recovery easy.

If your company has any growth ambitions, PDM is going to be a requirement for survival.  The earlier you can get in and get some experience will pay dividends down the road.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

I know it's pretty belated but I just wanted to check in and see if you've had any progess with PDM and Mastercam. We've had PDM for our models and engineering workflows but I really think think the workflow automation can help with manufacturing data as well.

If you've started storing manufacturing data in there what have been your pros/cons of implementation?

4 hours ago, Frank Caudillo said:

I know it's pretty belated but I just wanted to check in and see if you've had any progess with PDM and Mastercam. We've had PDM for our models and engineering workflows but I really think think the workflow automation can help with manufacturing data as well.

If you've started storing manufacturing data in there what have been your pros/cons of implementation?

We haven't pulled the trigger on launching it yet, it's still being implemented.

Thanks