Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling - Helical Slot

Kendo

I haven't been able to get 3D contour to output arcs on this cut, you can see the 3 straight segments it created in the toolpath view

Creating the 2d wireframe was a lot of work, seems like there's gotta be a better way...

but I have to program extra length because the larger slot this "rat tail" intersects is diecast into the raw material and will vary

The tool is a .031" x 20 degree runner cutter from Harvey, so the path I need is centerline w/ no comp

The helical geometry I chained was a true arc, no spline

362084139_HELICALSLOT.thumb.png.a7e59e15e46f874bebaf8f3bc96b40d2.png

WIREFRAME.thumb.png.5578cfcb861c32ecc7af711541b10354.png

Projecting 2D onto the surface won't give me the extension, I'd have to... create a surface, then extend that, then project onto?

I tried a quick project path and it still gives me straight moves, and no extension

The selected line is what I "projected", but the extra length gets eliminatedpencil.thumb.png.bfa49b3a4d45f3022d29cd6d44239c7b.png

extend.png.dc5c715f1078ae5fe15a46da4bc9436f.png

OK I get that

so...

No way to get G2/G3 helical move from mastercam?

The 3d contour seemed simple enough but nope, all straight lines.. I could adjust for the tangential error mentioned above

I get arc moves when I did a simple 2D contour so I guess It's not my control def settings

Thanks for the additional info...

I have no prob writing helical G2/G3 XYZ IJK for fanuc... that's what Im currently cutting this feature with.

For me, This was just a learning exercise for the mastercam side

kinda disappointing though, as you say... mastercam isn't capable