Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CIMCO vs Code Expert

Metallic

What do you guys use/prefer and why?

I know for editing post processors CodeExpert is probably the first choice....but are there any really big reasons to use one or the other? Keep in mind I am not referring to backplotting, etc. Just for code editing/posts.

Thanks!

On 6/3/2019 at 5:52 PM, So not a Guru said:

I use Code Expert for posts for all of the built in functions, that are specifically for posts. But I use Cimco for G-code, simply because the colors make finding things easier, such as linear to rapid transitions, M-codes and comments.

so what do you find different on the colors in code Expert to Cimco? I am sure you know you can change the colors based on what codes just like CIMCO and you can change the fonts were they seem a little bolder in CIMCO but you can do the same in CE.

Folks please share with us what you want to see in Code Expert that help make that your default.

Thanks for all your input.

21 minutes ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

Folks please share with us what you want to see in Code Expert that help make that your default.

Colors

Backplot ability, ala NCPLOT

Ability to understand machine canned cycles

Ability to understand work offset positions

Ability to deal with Fanuc macros

That would be a good start

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Old_Bear said:

Colors

Backplot ability, ala NCPLOT

Ability to understand machine canned cycles

Ability to understand work offset positions

Ability to deal with Fanuc macros

That would be a good start

So what did you want to see different to colors?

and the rest is all based of Backplot so I will group those together.
Thanks for the input.

I NEVER touch code expert.

first thing i do is switch to Cimco on new installs for the backplotting.

i guess it's my loss on the post editing side.

would be cool if code expert could port over the backplotting form Cimco/NCplot/northwoods

2 minutes ago, mkd said:

I NEVER touch code expert.

first thing i do is switch to Cimco on new installs for the backplotting.

i guess it's my loss on the post editing side.

would be cool if code expert could port over the backplotting form Cimco/NCplot/northwoods

So you purchased the upgrade to Pro.

Northwoods wow a flash from the past. LOL

15 minutes ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

So you purchased the upgrade to Pro.

Northwoods wow a flash from the past. LOL 

No i never purchased it personally. If I ever did contract programming it would be #2 on the buy list. Got a free license ATM.

Northwoods: I liked how you could post comments in the NC code that would build the tool list. If cimco had a better tool library function, that would be great.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

So what did you want to see different to colors?

The colors pallet, in the Global setup in Cimco provides a good idea....different motions, different colors......makes it easy to visually see what's happening

2 hours ago, mkd said:

No i never purchased it personally. If I ever did contract programming it would be #2 on the buy list. Got a free license ATM.

Northwoods: I liked how you could post comments in the NC code that would build the tool list. If cimco had a better tool library function, that would be great.

ATM not sure who that is but great to hear.

Northwoods tool list yes a lot of the post developers actually used to add that into the posts as a easy option to turn on and output. it may have been In-house that started that in the older posts.
When I used to work for the local dealer out here I was the Northwoods guy. I would talk a lot with Bill back then.