Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CIMCO vs Code Expert

Metallic

2 hours ago, Old_Bear said:

The colors pallet, in the Global setup in Cimco provides a good idea....different motions, different colors......makes it easy to visually see what's happening

So you like the option to change say color for the X values and so on correct?
So like this shown below.

760831945_colorCE.thumb.jpg.2583daed4dec2e722699cf21b2809f4d.jpg

sending with what machine.jpg

I used notepad to post mod.

NCPlot to backplot because it can handle sub progs and is so sweet to use.

Beyond Compare for file comparing - cheap as chips and again was sweet to use.

I asked on the official Mcam forum in the beta once what was so special about code expert, and I got laughed at - literally - and given the one main reason to use it because it was written in the latest software language (C+ or whatever - I can't remember) where the mastercam editor was "so old". Although that worked well and I certainly liked it.

But it still cannot handle sub progs?

Hmmmm.....

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, Mark@dmg-mori said:

For mill-turn products/enviroments we're pretty much stuck with code expert. Cimco for everything else. I'd go with code expert 100%, if I could only have a built in compare capability ;) 

Mark,

I'd highly recommend just buying "Beyond Compare 4" (Scooter Software), and plugging that into Code Expert. It gives you the best comparison tool on planet! I signed up for a Pro license of Beyond Compare, and it is indispensable to me.

• Like 3

Beyond Compare is also reasonably cheap!

I believe a standard license is $30. The Pro version (not really necessary for most users), is only $60.

For thirty dollars, Beyond Compare is an awesome tool. 

My favorite feature in the software is the "Align with..." function. This lets you manually align different sections of code, between the two columns. I use this for both "post editing" when I'm comparing code blocks between Posts. Often you'll get a Post that has many of the same chunks of code, but each block of code can be thrown anywhere in the text file. So having the "align with" feature lets me quickly align two start block locations. This also works great if you happen to use Subprograms, and need to line up blocks of code for comparison.

• Like 1