Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

AB Shear hog - shop staple, or obsolete relic?

I'm reprogramming a part, and need to order a moderately priced 1.5" insert endmill/face mill for aluminum (7075). We have a couple mit AXD cutters, but they're used on a job that needs a crazy overhang so I can't chop them.

I worked at a shop a few years back that used AB for all aluminum facing. I seem to recall they had good MRR, and left a good finish without breaking the bank.

Anyone know of something else that is just a cheap and effective?

21 hours ago, Ewood42 said:

Anyone know of something else that is just a cheap and effective?

The other ultimate "free cutting" insert mill is Dapra. The RG copies are not as good, I have blown a few up running normal Dapra speeds and feeds.

I have managed to break a shear hog, good cutters but not as strong as Dapra. Never managed to break one of those, and not through lack of trying.

Good range of insert styles and grinds.

Still using Shearhogs here also.

22 hours ago, Old_Bear said:

Love them....used with the honed inserts, a freer cutting you won't find.

Years ago at one place we were doing larger plates with a flatness callout of something like .008. Had problems and usually used the whole tolerance with the cutters they were using. Got them to buy a Shearhog to try. Without changing anything we went to flatness of .002-.003.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Charlie Pierson said:

The Shear Hog is our go to for aluminum and has been for over a decade.

They are also really good on copper and brass. As a microwave component company everything we do is aluminum, copper and brass. I use the Shearhog on all 3 with great results.

• Like 2
On 6/7/2019 at 11:14 AM, 5th Axis CGI said:

I used the one from ISCAR on a project and we were using a 2" 3 Flute tool cutting 1200 IPM at 24000 RPMS taking .125 Depth of Cut by 1.2" Width of cut. That worked out to 180 MMR.

Insanity.  CRAZYMILLMAN!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 9:14 AM, 5th Axis CGI said:

I used the one from ISCAR on a project and we were using a 2" 3 Flute tool cutting 1200 IPM at 24000 RPMS taking .125 Depth of Cut by 1.2" Width of cut. That worked out to 180 MMR.

We used to run primarily Iscar cutters as well and they are beast. Not quite as fast but we would run them .200 deep 6-800 ipm 50% of the tool. They really worked great but I believe they changed the cutter deisgn and it didnt work for us anymore.. We have since moved to Sandvik 790 cutters. 

• 2 weeks later...

We just recently switched over from a solid 3/4 endmill to the cutter below for a bunch of our 6061 plate roughing. We were able to reduce cycle time with 3-4kW less spindle power usage. The fixture has mightee bites that only grab .08" of the part so we need a free-er cutting tool to be able to bump up MMR. So far it is working great. 

http://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/item.aspx?cat=3106629&fnum=3372&mapp=ML&app=59&GFSTYP=I&isoD=1

1 hour ago, YoDoug® said:

We just recently switched over from a solid 3/4 endmill to the cutter below for a bunch of our 6061 plate roughing. We were able to reduce cycle time with 3-4kW less spindle power usage. The fixture has mightee bites that only grab .08" of the part so we need a free-er cutting tool to be able to bump up MMR. So far it is working great. 

http://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/item.aspx?cat=3106629&fnum=3372&mapp=ML&app=59&GFSTYP=I&isoD=1

That looks like a sharp insert. Do you know what you guys paid for the body and inserts? I got the 1.25" AB for $200 with 2 extra sets of inserts.