Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

No tool wear? So let me get this straight

louJay69

So let me get this straight

1. i write a program in mastercam

2. i use sweep in it 

3. i have wear in tool

4. my operator can not adjust for wear in the tool

5. I have to have some one re compile the program every dam time i get tool wear on need adjustments?

Complete garbage made my decision  Mastercam is complete crap!

• Haha 3
  • Huh? 1
23 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

Use cimco to change the start and exit whith the replace function you can add your g41 d value there.

May be able to turn it on and z 

I tried this the other day in a surfacing path that helixed down the walls of a big cavity with a Ø2" button cutter

I added leadin/out motion by hand, but the machine would not run it as the toolpath segments were too close together

10 hours ago, louJay69 said:

2. i use sweep in it 

3. i have wear in tool

5. I have to have some one re compile the program every dam time i get tool wear on need adjustments?

post a sample file.. someone may be able to help

45 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

comp wont take if the first move is an arc, could that be it?

38 minutes ago, Rocketmachinist said:

You need to do a lead in lead out move with a strait line to get comp to turn on.

30 minutes ago, gcode said:

post a sample file.. someone may be able to help

I believe he's merely complaining that there is no wear/control/whatever comp option in the swept 2D toolpath.

Ok, now finding out that the Swept was a wire path of 2D-swept were he is expecting 3D cuttercomp.

This was my reply:
OK, we show and option for Wear in the setting but in this case the tool path is to act like a standard surfacing path were we compensate for the Tangent of the tool rad . so the issues is you are expecting a compensation in multi-able directions based on the G41 asking to do a  3D comp and most machines cannot handle this. so if you review the path output you are not seeing the G41 as this is not a straight leaner comp 2D comp.

A the thought for getting Wear to work and why is there. if your machine supported 3D cutter comp then post modes would be needed to be made so the post would see this in the B-NCI.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hello All,

I just want to add my 2 cents here, We also would love to get wear compensation on 3D toolpaths.  Very often we need to add the entry and exit motion manually to get it done.  I know what Jayson is saying but if you look at it, changing the 2D comp will have a very very small effect on the 3D point of contact of the tool on the surface.   This would be very helpful for us when machining large cone shape chamfers or machining angled walls.  The abillity to have or not wear comp would be a huge plus for us.

Let us have the option please!

10 minutes ago, Mgrenier said:

Hello All,

I just want to add my 2 cents here, We also would love to get wear compensation on 3D toolpaths.  Very often we need to add the entry and exit motion manually to get it done.  I know what Jayson is saying but if you look at it, changing the 2D comp will have a very very small effect on the 3D point of contact of the tool on the surface.   This would be very helpful for us when machining large cone shape chamfers or machining angled walls.  The abillity to have or not wear comp would be a huge plus for us.

Let us have the option please!

In all reality though, most machines don't support it.....I had a case just this morning, I posted a path with comp but it was a 3D contour and when the control read the G19 it alarmed out...had to remove the comp on/off lines

Old_Bear,

I understand what you are saying but our machines do support it.  we only have 1 machine that doesn't and when we need it we just disable arc output in G19 ou G18.

I would still really like to have that option.  And I am sure many people would love to have it too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 9:51 PM, louJay69 said:

2. i use sweep in it 

3. i have wear in tool

Did Joanie get back in here???

• Haha 1

Just out of curiosity, how many CAM packages out there do have good support for 3D comp, both for 5 axis and 3 axis toolpaths?

My gut tells me we aren't the only ones lacking this functionality.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't we lack surface/tool contact point in the NCI with any of the 3D tool paths which is what you would need to calculate the 3D comp Vector.  IIRC even the MW paths lack this in the NCI, under the hood I would imagine that data is available for all paths.

I would be perfectly happy if they just gave us more framework to work within.  I would have ran with it ages ago, in a previous life, would have made my life much easier doing 3D rotary surfacing.  They could even bother to allow us to post standard comp in the classic 5X paths, for that last few years.  (has that functionality been restored yet?)

On 6/4/2019 at 7:51 PM, louJay69 said:

2. i use sweep in it 

3. i have wear in tool

Get some training, clearly you are guessing ...

• Haha 1