Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plane Association MC 2020

dillon527

Hi guys, loving the new features in Mastercam 2020. Especially some of the chaining options in the 2D toolpaths. Also really like how when you select solids or wireframe you have a tool selection that you can customize that automatically pops up. That is awesome. But I'm having trouble with being able to associate my Plane that ive created with a point or anything. I can see the text "Associative", but it is dimmed and unclickable. Was wondering if I have missed a linking option, or if maybe this is a bug that needs to be working out. It is a bit troublesome when I go to lower my plane and it doesn't follow the point. If I forget to select and move the point, I end up having to go through and re-program some of my link parameters. Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

Dillon

On 6/10/2019 at 12:23 PM, dillon527 said:

Hi guys, loving the new features in Mastercam 2020. Especially some of the chaining options in the 2D toolpaths. Also really like how when you select solids or wireframe you have a tool selection that you can customize that automatically pops up. That is awesome. But I'm having trouble with being able to associate my Plane that ive created with a point or anything. I can see the text "Associative", but it is dimmed and unclickable. Was wondering if I have missed a linking option, or if maybe this is a bug that needs to be working out. It is a bit troublesome when I go to lower my plane and it doesn't follow the point. If I forget to select and move the point, I end up having to go through and re-program some of my link parameters. Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

Dillon

Been broken since about 2018. It has to be done through the planes manager. Click the position in the planes manager and go pick a point then it will associate it. This cannot be done when 1st creating the new plane. Create the plane 1st then click on the position arrow in the planes manager and now the programmer have the ability associate it to the point or feature they wanted. Right clicking and editing the plane will not give the programmer this ability. This is the only way I have found that works.

Greyed out even after plane is created.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Been broken since about 2018. It has to be done through the planes manager. Click the position in the planes manager and go pick a point then it will associate it. This cannot be done when 1st creating the new plane. Create the plane 1st then click on the position arrow in the planes manager and now the programmer have the ability associate it to the point or feature they wanted. Right clicking and editing the plane will not give the programmer this ability. This is the only way I have found that works.

This must not work with solid selection?  Center of circles etc?  I've been fighting this since 2019 and it a bit of an annoyance.  :D 

12 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

That was more or less working for me in 2019. But no matter what I try I can't get it to work in 2020. 

13 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Been broken since about 2018. It has to be done through the planes manager.

agreed. has been broken for quite a while now, or at least is unreliable. i always advise people to use the planes manager where it works without fail.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:36 AM, dillon527 said:

Somehow I got the associative box to be checked in my planes manager, but it does not follow me point when I project it. Hopefully a bug they can work out.

Yes I wouldn't project that point. I would move the point, but not try to project it. Might try projecting a copy of the point then picking that copy verses the move.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has there been any progress on this? As far as I can tell, there is not a way to make a plane associative to a point in 2020. Files that come in from 2019 work fine. I've found the plane manager to be very buggy in 2020. Even flip flopping planes on occasion. I'd be scared to death if we didn't have Vericut.

Mike 

43 minutes ago, GoetzInd said:

Has there been any progress on this? As far as I can tell, there is not a way to make a plane associative to a point in 2020. Files that come in from 2019 work fine. I've found the plane manager to be very buggy in 2020. Even flip flopping planes on occasion. I'd be scared to death if we didn't have Vericut.

Mike 

Planes have been messed up for several version now....planes jumping to different positions, reorienting themselves in different orientations....locking planes helps but that causes issues of it's own....

Doing anything but standard 2 axis work has been fraught with issues now since at least 2017

• 2 months later...

Yes, you can.

There are still some caveats to what you can associate a plane to, depending on how the plane was created. For example, dragging out the dynamic gnomon to create a plane will allow you to associate to a point, but cannot associate to a solid autocursor point. Creating a plane via the Planes pane dropdown and "From solid Face" will create a plane type that can be associated to solid geometry. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chally72 said:

Yes, you can.

There are still some caveats to what you can associate a plane to, depending on how the plane was created. For example, dragging out the dynamic gnomon to create a plane will allow you to associate to a point, but cannot associate to a solid autocursor point. Creating a plane via the Planes pane dropdown and "From solid Face" will create a plane type that can be associated to solid geometry. 

My typical workflow is to have my planes manager open 24/7 on my 2nd monitor. When I create a plane I usually just right-click the top plane and select duplicate. Then I create a point where I want the 0 to be and select that point for association. This way I can move the point anywhere I want and the 0's move with it. This works reliably in 2021 now?

45 minutes ago, gms1 said:

My typical workflow is to have my planes manager open 24/7 on my 2nd monitor. When I create a plane I usually just right-click the top plane and select duplicate. Then I create a point where I want the 0 to be and select that point for association. This way I can move the point anywhere I want and the 0's move with it. This works reliably in 2021 now?

I just tried this workflow in 2021 and yes, this does work with wireframe entities. It does not work if trying to associate the plane to a solid autocursor point, and if you do accidentally click on a solid autocursor point while trying to associate the plane, it will permanently break association functionality for that plane. The workaround is to create a plane "From Solid Face", whereupon solid entity association works as expected. That's all the 'gotchas' I know of- hope that helps.

• Like 1

My workflow is the same as GMS1. I create a point and associate the planes with it so that it moves whenever the geometry moves. This has worked well as long as I can remember until 2020. Files migrated in from previous versions still  maintained associativity but new parts would not allow it. This is a huge PITA on parts with a lot of planes where we need to move things around for different machines, workholding etc. All in all planes reliability took a big step backward in 2020 as we have seen some very weird behavior. I'd be scared to death if we didn't have Vericut. Good to hear associativity is fixed. One thing that was discussed while I was at CNC software years ago was creating a wireframe entity that was similar to a genome that could be tied to a plane. That way you could dimply move it around with dynamic xform or whatever and change the location, angle more easily. I'd love to see this.

Thanks,

Mike 

1 hour ago, GoetzInd said:

One thing that was discussed while I was at CNC software years ago was creating a wireframe entity that was similar to a genome that could be tied to a plane.

See the attached file... a zipped MC2020 file

It contains a plane associative to 2 lines.

It was created with the "geometry" command

The red line is X

The green line is Y

Their intersection is the origin

Translate/move the 2 lines

Rotate/move the 2 lines

The plane and origin move with them.

Its not a single entity but it's close enough

Am I missing something

plane by geometry.zip

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, gcode said:

See the attached file... a zipped MC2020 file

It contains a plane associative to 2 lines.

It was created with the "geometry" command

The red line is X

The green line is Y

Their intersection is the origin

Translate/move the 2 lines

Rotate/move the 2 lines

The plane and origin move with them.

Its not a single entity but it's close enough

Am I missing something

plane by geometry.zip

I haven't had a chance to play with 2021 too much yet. 2020 just drove me nuts with never knowing if my planes were still working or not so I figured I would ask if it was functioning better. Of course its going to take a decade to stop checking my planes nonstop to make sure they are still correct :)

Thanks G!

This is very helpful.  I was not aware planes maintained associativity to lines in this way. I have always only used points and then did incremental rotations. I think this will be a big time saver going forward.

Mike

Just now, GoetzInd said:

Thanks G!

This is very helpful.  I was not aware planes maintained associativity to lines in this way. I have always only used points and then did incremental rotations. I think this will be a big time saver going forward.

Mike

I'm dating myself

2 lines is the old school way to create planes.. back in the pre dynamic rotation days 😀

• Haha 1