Sign in to follow this  
jerms

5 AXIS DRILL 2020

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

It seems I have misplaced my most used function on Mastercam 2020. Does anyone else use 5 axis drill? Is there a workaround (aside from FBM)?

Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jerms said:

Hey all,

It seems I have misplaced my most used function on Mastercam 2020. Does anyone else use 5 axis drill? Is there a workaround (aside from FBM)?

Thanks in advance. 

5x Drill is part of regular Drill now

Check the Axis Control page in Drill

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like that it won't create arcs/ or cutter comp when using axis control in either helical or circle mill when you select a solid feature. I have to manually create ops on each rotation/plane using arc geometry in order for it to use comp and arcs. The idea of simplifying the tool path is great, but the execution is not very useful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jerms said:

I don't like that it won't create arcs/ or cutter comp when using axis control in either helical or circle mill when you select a solid feature. I have to manually create ops on each rotation/plane using arc geometry in order for it to use comp and arcs. The idea of simplifying the tool path is great, but the execution is not very useful. 

This is most likely a post issue..

when you use a 5X toolpath, your post is outputting 5axis code, which will be point to point ( no arcs and no CDC)

when you create a toolplane to drive circle tool paths  you a really creating a 3+2 toolpath and your post is outputting tilted tool plane code.

The solution is to ask your post developer to give you a misc integer switch to enable tilted tool plane output for 5x toolpaths when needed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gcode said:

This is most likely a post issue..

when you use a 5X toolpath, your post is outputting 5axis code, which will be point to point ( no arcs and no CDC)

when you create a toolplane to drive circle tool paths  you a really creating a 3+2 toolpath and your post is outputting tilted tool plane code.

The solution is to ask your post developer to give you a misc integer switch to enable tilted tool plane output for 5x toolpaths when needed.

Thanks, I will check into that. What I'm seeing is in backplot.  Same hole without rotation, just top wcs, c&t, The solid feature tool path is line segments, the wireframe is arcs. The result is the same when I post out. Line segments for the solid tool path and arcs with comp on wireframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Join us!

eMastercam - your online source for all things Mastercam.

Together, we are the strongest Mastercam community on the web with over 56,000 members, and our online store offers a wide selection of training materials for all applications and skill levels.

Follow us