Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool break monitor

petro7

Does anyone know of a tool break monitor that will work with a 20 micron drill? I am drilling 10 pieces with 1300 hole in each piece and would like a light or something to alert me when the tool breaks. not sure if there is something like this available. 

20 minutes ago, petro7 said:

Does anyone know of a tool break monitor that will work with a 20 micron drill? I am drilling 10 pieces with 1300 hole in each piece and would like a light or something to alert me when the tool breaks. not sure if there is something like this available. 

theoretically a ceramic bearing'd mill could test conduction: yes/no. I don't know any MFG;r that does it off hand.

Blum laser would be my next sugguestion

we don't get continuity thru our speeder spindle, maybe because of ceramic bearings. And I was told a laser is bigger then the drill so it wouldn't detect a broken drill. I was trying to find a way to energize the work piece and hook a light up so when the drill touches the work piece the light goes on.  Maybe I'm not thinking straight. 

3 hours ago, petro7 said:

The material we are drilling is graphite.

So? It can still be EDM'd with sinker or an EDM drilling machine. Not sure about laser.

Mikron also offers a vision system for checking tools.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 12:09 PM, mkd said:

So? It can still be EDM'd with sinker or an EDM drilling machine. Not sure about laser.

Mikron also offers a vision system for checking tools.

Thanks for the info. Not that familiar with EDM's  . I will look into the mikron vision system. 

52 minutes ago, petro7 said:

I will look into the mikron vision system. 

One of their popular hsk40 spindles goes to 42,000RPM and that's a 100% duty cycle. "HSM500 graphite" machine has all the bells a whistles for extracting dust. More rpm available with smaller spindles, if needed.