Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why have duplicate tools when using transform?

megagigadude

I have to create duplicate tools in the tool manager to get around the issue of the the code being output without a tool change  and an additional output of a g68 when going from a plane at B0.0 to a Plane and a coordinate at B90.0   I made tool paths for only one of the eight details and then transformed it.  I tried using a separate transform for different offsets , as long as its the same tool it changes angle of the head without a tool change and without a g68 line -DANGEROUS. I also tried just clicking the force tool change button--> then it outputs a tool change every time it indexes the rotary axis to do the next detail.  

I am forced to create a duplicate tool with a slightly different name to make the tool changes happen and the absence of the additional returns to home every time the rotary axis index changes.

this creates a messy looking tool list for the operators and a bit confusing - ANY IDEAS

Originally  a few years ago creating a duplicate  tool was inhouse solutions(our reseller) answer to the  problem.  

Now we use transform  a lot and often create copied  tools with the same tool number.  Creating  tool lists or set up sheets using active reporting  or Varco set-up sheets  becomes cluttered   and confusing. 

There's  got to be a solution for not duplicating  tools

I dunno, I have a 5 axis post from Postability that handles this perfectly without the need of using different tools...

I honestly think you're solution is either getting IHS to address your post issue or garnering a different post...

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Jim Varco said:

Do I need to add an option to the Varco Reports to filter out the display of duplicate tools? IF so, what would the compare parameters be? Number, type, and diameter only? Or provide several user selected choices to filter on?

Jim like you did on the offset choices I think making that as a n option for tools would be a good way to approach it.