Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RAM usage on stock models

So not a Guru

Is there a way to limit the amount of my RAM that MC uses?

On some large 5x toolpaths, with stock model tolerances set to 0.001", MC will use 99% of my 32GB and, for all practical purposes, freeze the PC. I can fix it by loosening the tolerances, but I never know when it's going to happen.

1 hour ago, Old_Bear said:

In your config, the is a setting

Toolpaths branch but there is nothing specific to stock models, toolpath crunching

In reality, for what you're doing, 64 gigs should be minimum

As a side note to this problem, I only have 16 gigs of RAM on my machine, but when I look at my Task Manager Performance tab on a heavy crunching operation, it only allows me to utilize 8-9gb of RAM. I have my Mastercam config set to use 80%...am I missing something?

• Huh? 1
17 minutes ago, Metallic said:

I have my Mastercam config set to use 80%...am I missing something?

My systems have 32GB and I can never get MC to use more than 12% of the RAM, I have my Config memory set at 75%. I have many lockups with HS 3D toolpaths and end up closing MC to stop them.

I just re-generated 9 operations. One stock model and 8 Dynamic rough (rest machining) and watched the ram use in task manager. I saw it go as high as 88%. It took 45 seconds according to Mastercam logger regen these. I have 32 gb of ram and a 4gb video card. I use a windows add in to set Mastercam priority to high. I have no issues since doing this. The program is free. It is called PRIO. Google for it and install it. It has helped speed my times up and makes my system run more stable. You may have different results, but it seems to help my computer. Hopefully, it can help you guys also.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Corey Hampshire said:

use a windows add in to set Mastercam priority to high

I keep hearing mention of this priority setting...

so I looked for it again in task manager, this time I found the setting by right clicking on mastercam under processes page , and found priority listed

I went ahead and set it to high, idk if that will make life better, but i hope so. thanks Corry.

1 hour ago, Corey Hampshire said:

Let us know if it works, but yes that is the right spot.

I just found this as well, and changed to high.

Do you know what the "Realtime" setting does?

Thanks

EDIT: Definitely regenerated a 2MB OptiRest toolpatch MUCH quicker, but still capping RAM at 66.66667%

This is my first post here so don't go too hard on me please.

Are there any other settings within Mastercam that allow us to use more cpu, graphics card or ram? I am able to load up my processors around 80% at times but can never get my video card or RAM up past about 20% 

I just tried to set MC priority to high in task manager also just upped my config toolpath memory buffering to 80% but nothing changed.

I remember other users discussing the priority setting for Mastercam in the task manager, but also clarifying that the priority gets reset every time you close Mastercam. If you have it open all then setting the priority first thing every morning should work fine. Otherwise, a program like Corey suggested should be able to manage that for you.

11 minutes ago, Programinator said:

I found that Prio doesnt work for Windows 10.  Im using a program called system explorer to keep the setting on high permanently.

Did changing the priority to high help your performance at all? It doesn't seem to do anything for me.

42 minutes ago, Programinator said:

I found that Prio doesnt work for Windows 10.  Im using a program called system explorer to keep the setting on high permanently.

We are still on Windows 7 here at work.

30 minutes ago, Gride990 said:

Did changing the priority to high help your performance at all? It doesn't seem to do anything for me.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that it seems to be more stable. It hasn't crashed on me for a while (over a month). I think it processes tool paths faster. I am talking about things like dynamic and area roughing tool paths along with multi-axis in my case.

I just had my IT department put together a customized Dell precision 7820 to replace my 7910. No expense spared oh this new computer and it barely out performs my old one on Mastercam. Something has to be configured incorrectly. Everything else performs night and day better on this new system.

Does anyone know of any settings I should be changing to let mastercam use this extra hardware I am using? Is this something I should talk to my reseller about?

I hit post cap for the day? 

PC specs: Windows 10, Dual Xeon Gold 5122s, 128gb 2666 RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Dual optane drives (one boot one memory module) A handful of hard drives and some other stuff IT stuck in there. Running 3 Dell 27in monitors with this setup as well.

2 minutes ago, Gride990 said:

I just got a brand new customized Dell precision 7820 to replace my older 7910 and I am a bit disappointed in its performance. No expense spared on this new system 

I just had my IT department put together a customized Dell precision 7820 to replace my 7910. No expense spared oh this new computer and it barely out performs my old one on Mastercam. Something has to be configured incorrectly. Everything else performs night and day better on this new system.

Does anyone know of any settings I should be changing to let mastercam use this extra hardware I am using? Is this something I should talk to my reseller about?

What are your computer specs? CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.

18 hours ago, Gride990 said:

PC specs: Windows 10, Dual Xeon Gold 5122s, 128gb 2666 RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Dual optane drives (one boot one memory module) A handful of hard drives and some other stuff IT stuck in there. Running 3 Dell 27in monitors with this setup as well.

You probably don't want to hear this but, your processors are a problem. They only run at 3.6 Ghz. More Ghz and one less processor would have been the way to go.

Kevin K.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Gride990 said:

27 minutes ago, kostiuk said:

You probably don't want to hear this but, your processors are a problem. They only run at 3.6 Ghz. More Ghz and one less processor would have been the way to go.

Kevin K.

I have to agree that your very expensive CPUs are the bottle neck. Here is a comparison between your CPU and mine, which has a pretty respectable single thread rating. Single thread rating is king with Mastercam so any top rated CPU on this chart is what you want. Notice that very few of them are Xeons. That looks like a very expensive box they built you, but I don't know that there's any tricks or extra configuration that will get you better performance.

39 minutes ago, kostiuk said:

Kevin K.

My old 7910 was only running two xeon e5-2630s @ 2.20ghz. I agree, I would like to run processors with higher base clock speed. But if my old system and my new system run other programs so differently but not MC, that is leading me to believe some settings are off.

59 minutes ago, Frank Caudillo said:

I have to agree that your very expensive CPUs are the bottle neck. Here is a comparison between your CPU and mine, which has a pretty respectable single thread rating. Single thread rating is king with Mastercam so any top rated CPU on this chart is what you want. Notice that very few of them are Xeons. That looks like a very expensive box they built you, but I don't know that there's any tricks or extra configuration that will get you better performance.

Oh wow. Thank you for that comparison. That makes me wonder why my IT department said I must run duals if that single is so much better. We do some pretty power hungry operations in programs like nx and some specific blue/white light applications that require it from what I was told. Sometimes thousands of models on top of each other during these simulations. This is where this new system shines compared to my old one.

Since we lease our machines I am stuck with this one for a while. But I can get a laptop put together now that my desktop is taken care of.

Thanks so much for the help! Definitely bummed now though.

EDIT: I keep hitting post cap. Is there something I need to do to get around this?

• Like 1
Just now, Gride990 said:

My old 7910 was only running two xeon e5-2630s @ 2.20ghz. I agree, I would like to run processors with higher base clock speed. But if my old system and my new system run other programs so differently but not MC, that is leading me to believe some settings are off.

What other programs are they running? Different programs utilize CPUs differently so it's not surprising that some programs will see a big performance boost from your new system while Mastercam will not. The bottom line is that Mastercam needs clock speed and uses single thread processing more than anything else. Those dual Xeons you have, and probably the ones in your system, are not ideal for Mastercam. I'm not surprised other programs you use might perform much better while Mastercam's performance is marginal. It's not a settings issue, it's a hardware issue.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Gride990 said:

Oh wow. Thank you for that comparison. That makes me wonder why my IT department said I must run duals if that single is so much better. We do some pretty power hungry operations in programs like nx and some specific blue/white light applications that require it from what I was told. Sometimes thousands of models on top of each other during these simulations. This is where this new system shines compared to my old one.

Since we lease our machines I am stuck with this one for a while. But I can get a laptop put together now that my desktop is taken care of.

Thanks so much for the help! Definitely bummed now though.

I mean, they're probably not wrong for some of the other programs you use, by the sounds of it. It definitely sounds like you'll be better off with a simpler, but specialized, system for Mastercam. A good single threading i7 or i9, and half the RAM would still be plenty for Mastercam. Glad we could shed some light on it for you!

• Thanks 1

As this topic is relevant to me, I thought I would share some results of my processor comparison. My organization uses Xeons as an enterprise solution, which is great for stability on electrical work, programming, and other softwares. Mastercam usage is not the primary use for most of those stations, so I got stuck with one. But its a great computer for sure, and not cheap. For the price of my chip, which is only 600, you can definitely get some cheaper i7s for better value for this use-case.

comparison.JPG

• Like 1