Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

advanced rotary

westernoftexas

Hello to all ,  I need some help from you guys I have been trying to program this part on the 4th axis ( rotary ) using the new rotary advanced function. I have been able to come up with a basic tool path using axis sub. but I really need the rotary advanced to be bale to cut chamfers on the top edge on the ribs and other smaller details that the axis sub can not do . I have attached a drawing from mastercam 2018 i could really use some help . I have never used the function so I have no idea what each box is asking for I have tried to play around with it but I havent been able to get it to do what I want it to do . I need to machine the spaces in between the sprial ribs . Any help /pointers are greatly appreciated

DWG 00005074_OGS_FINAL SPRIAL.mcam

6 minutes ago, westernoftexas said:

@cam-eleon  that is a good point and that way the tool only has to make 1 pass to where the advance rotary has to make alot at small depths can you post the mc file

here is the shortest video i could find on youtube through a quick search on the swarf path , you can use what is shown in that video on your part and it should work. There are longer and more detailed videos too but this one covers the important stuff for swarfing

No, not the mastercam ver of swarf. Not that I know of anyway. The module works ver of swarf is more involved but I think even for that the tool is working on just one side. If you can complete a wall for guiding the tool around to cut both sides then try it that way. Maybe others who use this toolpath more often then I do can offer more advice. I just make 2 ops to cut both sides.

im shocked at the response to this thread , and thanks to you guys i was able to complete the job and the customer ordered more !!!!!!! i am still wondering what are the main factors that need to be changed from part to part for example say the par has longer strakes ( ribs )??  @ajmer can you help me understand each box on each tab in advanced rotary

6 hours ago, westernoftexas said:

im shocked at the response to this thread , and thanks to you guys i was able to complete the job and the customer ordered more !!!!!!! i am still wondering what are the main factors that need to be changed from part to part for example say the par has longer strakes ( ribs )??  @ajmer can you help me understand each box on each tab in advanced rotary

For the cut pattern page, its just a couple of settings, the Depth you want to cut and the max step over, not much other to select there.

For the part definition page, the Axial limits ajmer had turned on limit the toolpath in The X-axis, basically that Axis user limit is a way to contain the toolpath from a certain x position to another x position, so if the part is longer yes those axial limits need adjusted, a handy trick is to right click in the field and measure an x axis point right off the solid model.

linking page does not need much, other than use ramp setting and this is also where you set entry feed distances. 

thats about all there is to a rotary advanced multi-axis tool path.

On a side note, we can rough this part more efficiently with a Morph toolpath, In my opinion a morph toolpath morphing from one of those Fin to another would be more effort to setup but would offer greater toolpath control for this part so even though that rotary advanced did a good job and was easy to use the more power that morph has could be beneficial.