Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thumbnail views not showing in taskbar!

Roger

The latest Windows update has changed a few things on my computer!! 🤬🤬

The taskbar on the desktop has changed colors, and the open programs no longer display the thumbnail views!  🤬🤬

Anyone know how to fix this??  HELP...................................:wallbash:

44 minutes ago, G0G54X0Z0 said:

So, when you hover over the icons on the taskbar, you don't see the thumbnails? What color is the taskbar now, what was it before?

Yes, I don't see the thumbnails.  It's light blue now, don't remember what it was before the change.  Windows 7 Pro.

I did some digging and found an article describing a fairly lengthy process to restore your thumbnails. I personally am running 10, so I can't go through it for you, but try this out.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-taskbar-not-showing-thumbnail-previews/

If you don't want to click the link, just google this "thumbnails not showing windows 7" and click the first result using a Bing search engine.

Let me know if it works! Goodluck.

I think it has something to do with our IT company changing over to a more secure backup of the computers.  They are now mirroring everything. 🤔

One more thing that I've noticed changed is when I create a new plane in Mastercam, and right click on it , and go to rename and click.  That no longer works!  I have to double click on it to rename! 😡 I'm not a happy camper!!

Like I said, to view your thumbnails is a simple checkbox that IT has left uncheck in it's recent update. You can access advanced systems settings via

>Windows Key + X

>System

>In the search bar type, "advanced"

>Select "View advanced system settings"

>Select the "Advanced" tab

>Find the "Performance" region and select, "Settings"

>Select the "Visual Effects" tab

>Check the box labeled "Enable Peek"

>Click Apply

>Click Ok

This will enable thumbnail previews and desktop peek at the far right of the taskbar.

This works on my Windows 10, did it work for your 7? You may not have access if your IT has restricted it.

Also, are you in MC19? We can still right-click rename on user created planes. Remember that no one can rename MC default planes.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, G0G54X0Z0 said:

Like I said, to view your thumbnails is a simple checkbox that IT has left uncheck in it's recent update. You can access advanced systems settings via

>Windows Key + X

>System

>In the search bar type, "advanced"

>Select "View advanced system settings"

>Select the "Advanced" tab

>Find the "Performance" region and select, "Settings"

>Select the "Visual Effects" tab

>Check the box labeled "Enable Peek"

>Click Apply

>Click Ok

This will enable thumbnail previews and desktop peek at the far right of the taskbar.

This works on my Windows 10, did it work for your 7? You may not have access if your IT has restricted it.

Also, are you in MC19? We can still right-click rename on user created planes. Remember that no one can rename MC default planes.

IT doesn't have any of this settings restricted.  The enable peek just isn't there.

Untitled.jpg.c926ca0df78b53b272fd758008ee5199.jpg

12 hours ago, G0G54X0Z0 said:

I'm in MC19, and up tell 4 days ago, I could right-click rename on user created planes....Now I can't!!

Thanks for all you responses, and taking the time to reply!!!  We have off site IT people that need to GET THIS FIXED ASAP!!

Your next step is ensure that you have the (an) Aero theme selected, then you will have to open Run and edit some parameters inside of the Local Group Policy Editor.

First thing's first, let's ensure you've enabled the Aero theme - the reason for this is because Windows will return to its basic theme when running on battery because Aero has cool effects, like Taskbar Peek and Thumbnail, which drain battery. Windows may fail to restore the Aero theme once plugged back in, so it's important that you become familiar with this process should it happen again. So let's dig in.

You must have these system requirements to run Windows 7 Aero, which we know you do, since you had Peek before, but who doesn't love extra data?::

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB (gigabyte) of RAM memory and a DirectX 9 compatible GPU with a minimum of 128 MB of Video RAM, installed with Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver

You may also check that your Windows Experience Score, which must exceed 3.0 to run Aero. This is found via the following path:

> Control Panel

> System and Security

> System, then click on “Windows Experience Index.”

Your score should exceed 3.0

Now, there are couple of quick things we can do before we dive into the big tuna. Let's try this,

>Start

>Type "Aero"

>Under "Control Panel" you should see " Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects"

>If you do not see "Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects," then click control panel in the search pane and find it in the menu that pops up

>The "Aero" wizard pops up, click "Next"

>The wizard searches system for errors, if there are errors fix them when prompted and rerun the "Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects"

>When wizard shows green checks on all items, that should restore Aero because all components relative to aero's effects will be in working order.

Now, if that hasn't worked then move on to my next suggestion which requires the registry editing I mentioned before.

>Open "Run" via Windows logo key + R

>Type "gpedit.msc"

>The "Local Group Policy Editor" opens

>"User Configuration"

>"Administrative Templates"

>"Start Menu and Taskbar"

>Select the "Standard" tab beneath the options on the right, near the bottom of the window.

>Double Click "Turn Off Taskbar Thumbnails"

>The "Turn Off Taskbar Thumbnails" window opens

>Select the radio button reading "Disabled."  This should enable the taskbar thumbnails. 

Good Luck

On 6/21/2019 at 8:01 AM, Roger said:

I'm in MC19, and up tell 4 days ago, I could right-click rename on user created planes....Now I can't!!

If it helps your sanity at all, I did confirm on my system that right click > rename immediately lets me type in the name:

image.png.962a113a38836d7ab90647385b21c4d2.png

I tried it in 2019 and 2020 and works for me :)

1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

If it helps your sanity at all, I did confirm on my system that right click > rename immediately lets me type in the name:

Our IT guy will be in tomorrow morning to get this all fixed, and back to normal.  (I hope/pray)!!

IT guy was in.  Worked on it for 45 minutes.  He couldn't fix it..............  :no  Said Windows 7 is too old, I need a new computer.

That was in the plan all along, just don't have the time for it right now!!!!!   Overwhelmed with programing new parts!!!!!!!