Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Cutter Comp Beginning on Arc Move - How to Avoid?

Good to know.  I'll add it to my book 'o secrets!

On 6/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, Bill H said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original post.  In the circle mill toolpath, you cannot use just a roughing pass, unless the diametral wear value in the control is zero because MC is invoking the comp on an arc move.  This is also true with thread milling ID threads, but fortunately in this case MC provides some lead-in/lead-out options to eliminate the problem.  I suppose the heart of my question is whether there's some setting that would prevent the invoking of comp on arc moves.

Sounds like a settings issue. I run a 3 Haas machines. A 1994 VF0, 2005 VF2 and A 2019 VF2. Use wear all the time and not an issue if your settings are correct.

For circle mill be sure you have it set for perpendicular and 90 degree. 

Capture.PNG.79b09c00faa7d2cc4d9a3e240e444332.PNG

Edit: If you want to contour an ID use the formula of ( dia. of hole - dia. of tool/2 * .4142 ) with a sweep of 135 and you will drop into the center of the hole and sweep on and off with no problems.

Example 1/2 inch hole with 1/4 inch endmill.

.500-.250 = .250/2 = .125*.4142 = .051775

Lead in and out line and arc .051775 with 135 degrees of sweep.

Works great for slots also.

• Like 1

In a circle mill toolpath click on your transitions tab dont do high speed entry....select perpendicular entry exit all your problems will go away

This might have been said already.  The way I do it is by combining  perpendicular entry AND radius entry.