Sign in to follow this  
haroldm9123

Ideas to form in sheet metal! Ellipse!

Hi guys,

I have a part i'm tasked with trying to build a block for. So far my concept is depicted in the included JPEG.

i have also included a mastercam part of what im trying to achieve.

So far using this method i get a lot of wrinkles, so if anyone would like to chime in with some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

the material is .040 O condition

SAMPLE PART.x_t

sample part idea.JPG

When I toured McDondald Douglas back in the early 90’s they would form that into hard rubber, using a drop hammer. 

Sheet metal forming is an art all to itself. I would suggest off loading to a stamping  shop or if the quantities are small milling from a block.

• Like 1

Deep drawing is a quite a sizable topic to be hashed out here in a discussion forum. :)

As you've seen, forming that in one hit, you're very likely to get wrinkles and tears in the part. It's usually done in multiple dies, starting with a shallow draw and getting deeper with each die. See pic for example. As you can see, the outer edge of the blank gets deformed as it's drawn so the outer edge of the final part will need a trim die to finish cutting the shape and punch the holes in those tabs.

There's so much more to this, but a book would have to written to convey it all. My recommendation is to send it out to a die shop who does this kind of work.

draw.jpg