Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Version - Windows version Compatibilty

Mick

Does anyone here have a Mastercam Version - Windows version compatibility list?

I have had an enquiry from someone trying to run Mastercam V6 (not X6... but V6...ancient!) on Windows 7. I dont think this is possible, but I need to check.

V6 oh no, don't they realize they are like 20 years behind the rest of the world. they need to get with the times since they are only making things harder on themselves by cheaping out and not purchasing updates. Just my opinion though!

I was looking for a compatibility list yesterday but didn't find one

V5 ran on Windows 3.1

I think V6 did too, but I'm not sure. It may have been the first Win 95 release.

Either Win 3.1 or Win95 would be difficult to get running on a modern machine and OS

Even V9 running on Win7 was a chore due to Hasp issues.

I still have V9 installed  on this Win7 machine but I have access to a nethasp .

It has major video issues, but I just use it to convert an occasional V7 or V8 file so video

issues aren't a problem.

Wow, that's a good one..  I don't think you can turn back the Windows 7 Compatibility settings far enough to make that work?  

I'd be tempted to try running in DosBox (the emulator), but you'll have to have a nethasp to connect to as I don't think Parallel port keys will work with it.  You might have some luck emailing in to tech support, as there's a few people over there have been around since the V6 days :)

1 hour ago, JoshC said:

V6 oh no, don't they realize they are like 20 years behind the rest of the world. they need to get with the times since they are only making things harder on themselves by cheaping out and not purchasing updates. Just my opinion though!

i have a dongle with V7, i let them use it in the shop for simple drilling and some engraving

it's on an old computer with a serial port and isn't allowed on the network

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  These guys are somewhat stubborn with technology (that is an understatement :) ). I agree, V6 is going back a long way, (remember *.ge3 files? :)

They were told (by someone, not sure who...) that V6 would run on Windows 7. My response was "I believe it wont".

I'll break the news to them.

Eh, I'd give it a go :) If you have the install media, it's worth a shot, but like GCode said, the big problem is the hasp stuff.   I can run V9 on a Windows 10 VM here, but that's only because of a nethasp.

What I CAN tell you is that the official line is "that's not a supported combination."  :)

21 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Eh, I'd give it a go :) If you have the install media, it's worth a shot, but like GCode said, the big problem is the hasp stuff.   I can run V9 on a Windows 10 VM here, but that's only because of a nethasp.

What I CAN tell you is that the official line is "that's not a supported combination."  :)

Eh? Are you Canadian? 😂

The issue I see, is that the Hasp is the old white parallel port Hasp. They have V6 installed, but it comes up with "SIM not found", which points to a driver, or lack thereof, issue. I'm going to have to visit them to take a look myself I think.

A white paralle port Hasp is taking me right back, though I do remember the green Activator/M sim :)

More difficult will be to find a PC with a onboard parallel port. USB adapter won't work, some add-on cards should but I never could (through virtual machine at least).

Then if you can find suitable PC I had success with VMware software to access dongle through DOS virtual machine from windows host. I tried Oracle VirtualBox and a few others without success. 

Realistically speaking, could such a(n) (accurate) list even be created? It's unlikely.

Generally speaking, V? can't run on Win?... but with addon ??? and registry hack ??? along with VM ??? running with a simulated ??? and hacked ??? it can.

Who can say, really?