fdbarajas

connect two arcs with tangent line help

hello, first post. 

i am a first year machining student. i plan on taking mastercam1 in the winter of 2019. to prepare myself for the class, i purchased a mastercam book and am working through the exercises. it's an interesting CAD program. i am stuck though. i want to connect two arcs with a tangent line. i come close but my end result is still quite ugly to look at. is there a way to move this line when it is still active? i want to place it in such a way that i can modify it later.  i'm reading book: mastercam 2018 imperial handbook volume 1   ISBN: 1-77146-680-4

i thank you for your time. 

tangent_line_two_arcs.jpg

this is the exercise i am working on.  it's a beast to look at. i want it to look better. 

i work full time and school part time. my end goal is to earn an associate degree and NIMS cert. 

thank you

mastercam_3-6.jpg

failed attempts at tangent to arc. 

either i get indentations or "extra tail" on my arc. 

MCAM_3-6_close_up.jpg

Could you post your Mastercam file?

i was able to figure out the extra tail on my arc. 

i used the break two pieces function. once i separated the unwanted portion from my arc, the rest of my drawing fell into place. 

i was over thinking the tangent to the arc part. it was not needed in this exercise. after several attempts i am happy with the result of the exercise. 

thank you to #REKD for contacting me. 

i'm having a lot of fun with this program. 

thank you all for taking the time to read my thread. 

now...... on to the next exercise!!

🙂

MCAM_3-6_final.jpg

On 7/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, fdbarajas said:

i used the break two pieces function. once i separated the unwanted portion from my arc, the rest of my drawing fell into place. 

You can also use trim function here.

It is important to pay attention to the small icons that appear next to the cursor. It tells you what the system is seeing as your selection, endpoint or midpoint for instance.

When drawing line tangent to an arc, the arc should highlight but without an icon. The system is looking at the arc, click and drag the line past the next arc and drop the line onto the arc so again arc is highlighted with no additional icon, and voila. Nothing like practice and experience with this sort of thing.

• Like 1

i will practice this. 

this has been a lot of fun to learn. 

thank you