Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Undercut surfacing lollipop

MIKO ELLO

4 hours ago, Old_Bear said:

When using Lollipop cutters, tapered and relieved shanks won't work....make sure your shank dia is the same as your relief dia...that will make it look like a straight shank

You must be talking about a certain path. As all that mentioned path wise does support these tools especially lolipop.

I use Harvey's Sim files (.dxf) as custom tools and they work great.

Another toolpath worth trying is Blend. It has the added advantage that you can cut in say "TOP" tool plane and project your control surfaces from a different construction plane, say "LEFT" depending on your requirements.

Same rules apply as for normal Blend, you are driving the center of the ball with your blend curves.

10 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

I use Harvey's Sim files (.dxf) as custom tools and they work great.

Another toolpath worth trying is Blend. It has the added advantage that you can cut in say "TOP" tool plane and project your control surfaces from a different construction plane, say "LEFT" depending on your requirements.

Same rules apply as for normal Blend, you are driving the center of the ball with your blend curves.

Nick,

Can you explain your process for getting the .DXF files properly loaded in the the Tool Manager? I have struggled with DXF files for as long as I can remember and never seems to work. It is especially unfortunate since I use a lot of Harvey and Helical tooling

Sorry to derail

• Like 1
On 7/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, Metallic said:

Can you explain your process for getting the .DXF files properly loaded in the the Tool Manager?

The main problem I have found is that they come in with multiple geometry chains.

Try Unblank and you should see an additional tool outline appear "off origin". Delete and you should be good to go.

Sometimes I will create an MC  file to do the work and then merge this into my main program "pre cleaned".

Sometimes "dummy" levels are created which hold this geometry.

I have talked with Harvey about this and they say they are looking into it...haven't had to download a tool for a while so I don't know what the current state of play is.

I usually use a very high level number to keep the tool geometry separate from the rest for clarity sake.