Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lots of good enhancements

gcode

Still day to day usability is clumsy.

They obviously care way too much about shiny new whistles and bells than they do about what it's like to use the software.

or they would listen to us . The other day I modified a plane and MC threw out 6 view sheets for me. yesterday I changed the dia. of my spot drill, so MC tripled the spindle speed and doubled the feed rate for me! There are so many glitchy ways that the software works that it's impossible to predict what it will do next. Why does the toolpath manager jump around so much? Why does it scroll to a different spot  if I even sneeze?

I wish they would just work on what they have got and make it run smooth. they need to work on improvements rather that adding more stuff to impress non users into purchasing!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I bet the multi threading goes even faster now!!! Who cares. I wish they would just spend some time and streamline the software... Also it would be cool if it would tell you why it can't generate the toolpath you're trying. I mean it's got a dynomite button but does anybody ever click on it? Why can't we delete original planes that don't get used? Does circle mill have an entry feed and speed yet that spools up at the bottom of the hole and hoes ham? How about first pass feed rate reduction support on surfacing. I don't care about viewsheets I have no need for them. How about a better printable format for tool lists and assemblies..... I could go on and on.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Bbeyer562 said:

.... I could go on and on.

Who besides a wet behind the ears infant would design a toolpath hole selection  window,

where the list of points is a narrow vertical column running out the bottom of a short wide window that keeps retarding back to its default shape? WTF ?

Every time I delete points it's aN ORDEAL!

I don't like a lot of changes they made in 2019, and from the sounds of it they are even worse in 2020 I liked the way X9 worked when ever you were using a surface driven program when you clicked on it, it knew you needed to select the surfaces automatically, in 2019 you have to click 2 things before you select your surfaces.............more clicks equals waste of time in my opinion. Not sure why they are heading the way they are buttons and bells to sell to new people rather than keeping it solid for it's long time users. 

• Like 3
On 7/5/2019 at 9:58 AM, Seedy steve said:

Every time I delete points it's aN ORDEAL!

Can't agree with this more.

It may be that I just haven't figured out how this is supposed to work yet, but every time I click on a point in that window and try to delete it, it never deletes the point I selected. It deletes the first point in the column.  I've had a couple of "want to throw the monitor through a window" days just because of that.  :D 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SlaveCam said:

I wouldn't miss the dynamite button

True.. I have been using MC for nearly 20 years now and have never used that button even once.

I have fat fingered it a couple of times but the resulting "are you sure" popup was enough to warn me off.

7 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Long term users won't switch software or will die off...New users is where sales are at...

I was brought on here to start the in-house machining department, and aside from being informed we were getting a Haas I was able to choose everything else for the shop.  As 2017 hadn't come out yet, I got Mastercam.

One of the company's founders is starting a new company on the side, and he contracted me to advise him on hardware and software.  I did not recommend Mastercam.

If this company survives long enough and expands, I'll eventually want another programmer and another CAM seat.  Will I buy more Mastercam, or will I get something else?  I tell you what, I'm a lot more open to other options now than I would have been four years ago.  If CNC Software is betting on my exiting the field they'll have to hold on for at least another twenty years, and I'm only becoming more influential.

Things that matter:

1. How long does it take you, as an experienced user, to program and verify a part and produce good setup documentation?

2. How reliable is that process, including setup?

3. What's the cycle time on that program?

Things that don't matter:

1. How pretty is the user interface?

2. Does the software seamlessly integrate and synergize the latest buzzwords and fads?

3. Does the user interface look like what millennials have come to expect from common office software and social media apps?

• Like 5
3 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

I wouldn't miss the dynamite button...

2 hours ago, gcode said:

True.. I have been using MC for nearly 20 years now and have never used that button even once.

I use it quite frequently. Almost every time I make a change to a detail. Since I'm a tooling guy, most of my changes come around after the detail has been heat treated and now needs to be hard cut (with all different tooling that I originally used). I move the original geometry to the "old" level and import the new geometry, then blow the dynamite. I don't need the old tools cluttering up my file. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Things that don't matter:

1. How pretty is the user interface?

2. Does the software seamlessly integrate and synergize the latest buzzwords and fads?

3. Does the user interface look like what millennials have come to expect from common office software and social media apps?

Those three things matter to the Autodesk hipsters who latch on to a buzzword, and use it as much as they sip their double shot espressos. The latest one I am hearing is "disruptive". LOL

I'm not a fan of Mastercam nowadays (more political than functional, though the interface and some of functions are bleh), and we went off maintenance last year, so no 2020 for us.