Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lots of good enhancements

gcode

6 hours ago, gcode said:

There is a lot in 2020 I like

I HATE HATE HATE what has been done to the Trim function though

It seems relatively trivial, but it's keeping me from doing anything significant in 2020. There's a lot of new things I would like to take advantage of but I'm not sure if I want to recommend our shop to switch out of spite.

1 hour ago, Frank Caudillo said:

They basically split up Trim/Break/Extend into separate functions. Where you used to be able to trim entities together, trim to a point, extend entities (positively or negatively) all from one dialogue box, you now need to accept and open up a new dialogue box for each function.

I also dislike how they change "Extend" to "Modify Length". You used to be able to enter a negative value to shorten the wireframe, now you must select either Lengthen or Shorten and are only allowed positive values in the box.

A very good workflow that used to contain a lot of functionality has, in my opinion, been completely neutered.

WHY was this changed? It wasn't broken.

Just change stuff for the sake of it? Why not put a vote here and Mastercam's official forum and let the users decide?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
On 7/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, Neurosis said:
On 7/5/2019 at 12:58 PM, Seedy steve said:

Every time I delete points it's aN ORDEAL!

Can't agree with this more.

It may be that I just haven't figured out how this is supposed to work yet,

By the way there is one thing I like about the drill point manager, it keeps your work when u escape to close... one less click with the mouse is always appreciated!

lately my left hand has been holding my head up more than working hotkeys.:whistle:

• Haha 1

New version...new bugs. Took me all of 2 minutes in programming my first part in 2020 till I found a bug with creating planes via the gnomon.....The bug is not a deal breaker but it is frustrating when something worked perfect in the previous version now does not.

To be fair, there are a few features I like in 2020....have yet to make a complete transition tho. Waiting to complete a few big projects before dealing with more surprises.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 7/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, Neurosis said:

It may be that I just haven't figured out how this is supposed to work yet, but every time I click on a point in that window and try to delete it, it never deletes

I noticed that point one is always red. it won't change when selected like the others do.

My delete key works good.

I have been using it since the late 80's. I have seen it grow and get better and I have seen it go backwards sometimes. I hate updating! it is a big PIA. I hate when they change things that are working like hole selection and than go backwards in 2019 & 2020. The trim function is annoying as well as the note in drafting. I think for most of us the newer toolpaths are fluff. Not all of them, but most. Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

One improvement I like is to Chain.

They eliminated the Wait switch for Chain

At first, I was really concerned about this because I use Wait all the time.

The Wait switch is still there for Partial Chain, but greyed out for Chain.

It turns out, Wait still works for Chain, it's just automatic.

A very nice upgrade once you figure it out.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, SlaveCam said:

I wouldn't miss the dynamite button, but I think it would be reasonable to put an epilepsy warning above (or below) the operation tree control.

I've used the dynamite button a few times. It's nice when training people to use the software. After they're done with the part I went through them with, I blow it up, tell them to do it again and walk out the door for a 1/2 hour. When I come back in they start writing better notes. :devil:

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

After they're done with the part I went through them with, I blow it up, tell them to do it again and walk out the door for a 1/2 hour. When I come back in they start writing better notes

Years ago I took a Solidworks class at a local community college

We sat 3 computers to a table powered by a single power strip.

The instructor would walk by, jerk the power strip out of the wall and sing "Save Save Save"

some people got very angry with him for that 🤣

• Haha 4

I still don't quite understand the hate for every release on this forum since Mcam 2017. Have you all submitted bug reports to CNC Software when these issues crop up? You also do not have to upgrade to the latest and greatest software. I have found that the first patch from CNC fixes most of the issues users have presented.

Or do we all just like dumping on the software that has made us $$$? I don't get it.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Metallic said:

I still don't quite understand the hate for every release on this forum since Mcam 2017. Have you all submitted bug reports to CNC Software when these issues crop up? You also do not have to upgrade to the latest and greatest software. I have found that the first patch from CNC fixes most of the issues users have presented.

Or do we all just like dumping on the software that has made us $$$? I don't get it.

I gave up talking to CNC Software about a year and a half ago.  They told me that I'm the only one that doesn't like their changes, everyone else loves it so I should learn to like it.  I know a fair number of people who've bought other software due to the changes in and since 2017.

I'm still running X9 and it's rock solid.  I love it.  If they took X9, added the improved toolpath algorithms, and fixed a few bugs it would be phenomenal.  I "dump" on change for its own sake, especially when it it hinders my workflow and costs me time and money.  I "dump" on a software company that has admitted that attracting new entry level customers is far more important to them than the productivity of established and experienced customers.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Metallic said:

Look back at some old threads when they went from the classic V9 & earlier interface to the X style interface. Same thing.....I have heard that there are still some out there that run V9.

Try this experiment.  Find an experienced master craftsman of any kind, sneak into his shop while he's asleep, and replace the handle on every one of his tools with a T-handle.  Then sit back and watch what happens when he tries to use them.

The interface is the handle on the software.  It should conform to me and the way I want to use it, not force me to change my grip to adapt to it.

• Like 5
  • Huh? 1

On 7/9/2019 at 3:11 PM, MIL-TFP-41 said:

New version...new bugs. Took me all of 2 minutes in programming my first part in 2020 till I found a bug with creating planes via the gnomon.....The bug is not a deal breaker but it is frustrating when something worked perfect in the previous version now does not.

To be fair, there are a few features I like in 2020....have yet to make a complete transition tho. Waiting to complete a few big projects before dealing with more surprises.

Bitter sweet for this new 2020. The same thought by my buddy. We were installing the headache rack on his Ram project when he mentioned about upgrading his X9 to 2020. The new issue on 2020 which is not x9 is a big drawback.

15 hours ago, Metallic said:

Have you all submitted bug reports to CNC Software when these issues crop up?

I've been using MC since 2002. I've submitted bugs to QC, typically with sample files and documentation on how to replicate the bug. I don't remember exactly how many bugs I've submitted but I'd bet my paycheck it's between 5-12. The QC guys were always professional and pleasant to deal with and always gave me a bug# to track it. In fact, all of my correspondence with ANYONE from CNC Software has always been pleasant.  That being said, I don't recall a single one of those bugs ever being fixed.

• Haha 5