Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic OptiRough

Ocean Lacky™

I had it happen 2 times, verify and Vericut looked great. Vericut sent a person out to video tape the control, after that they had a major software update.

The problem was the min arc setting in Mastercam, the control was not capable of reading the code properly. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

The problem was the min arc setting in Mastercam, the control was not capable of reading the code properly. 

I believe the  problem lies more in the control...the machines controls arc tolerance is set too tight and can't handle the end points being off my a .0001"

As it happens and is not related arc size, as it happens on larger arcs, that kind of negates the arc setting in Mastercam

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Old_Bear said:

I believe the  problem lies more in the control...the machines controls arc tolerance is set too tight and can't handle the end points being off my a .0001"

As it happens and is not related arc size, as it happens on larger arcs, that kind of negates the arc setting in Mastercam

After further investigation, it would seem that the trouble lies with the path taken to the next cut. 

Light blue = cut

Red = Transition to next cut @ rapid feed rate

Green = Next cut.

toolpath.jpg

• Like 3

Could still be the arc move causing the main issue....though you're seeing the result of the bad move at that position that you point out

Run the tool safely above the part and single block it thru that section to find the exact position in the code

• Like 1

I have had some issues, kinda often when using minimum retract in linking parameters. Seems like the part clearance for retract does not respect left behind stock. Some times I am just forced to give it an inch or more on the part clearance, and sometimes I just throw in the towel and give it a full vertical retract... Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but many times I have been bitten by these settings.

This information about the arcs in Fanuc scares me to know now... lol I always try to filter to arcs to keep code smaller and paths smoother, again probably just doing it wrong, but with mastercam you definitely learn something new everyday.

21 hours ago, motor-vater said:

I have had some issues, kinda often when using minimum retract in linking parameters. Seems like the part clearance for retract does not respect left behind stock. Some times I am just forced to give it an inch or more on the part clearance, and sometimes I just throw in the towel and give it a full vertical retract... Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but many times I have been bitten by these settings.

This information about the arcs in Fanuc scares me to know now... lol I always try to filter to arcs to keep code smaller and paths smoother, again probably just doing it wrong, but with mastercam you definitely learn something new everyday.

When you use minimum vertical retract, are you checking the Output Feed Move box? If not, you're likely running into dogleg collisions on your G0 moves, which of course vary machine to machine.

Ocean Lacky, could you post the file or send to me if you'd prefer not to post it here? I'd like to take a look at the path. If the problem does lie at the control, you're on the right track tuning the Min/Max arc filter settings.

Nope, no sign of it in Verify. In reality tho, there was a small line about .010 -.015" wide where it appears that the stock may have been pushing away making it seem thicker than it was.

I restarted the program with a worn mill (for experimentation purposes) and slowed the feed to 10% (12IPM) and it strolled thru that area like it wasn't even there.

I modified my program to slow the feed thru that portion and haven't had an issue on the remaining parts.