Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

multiaxis parallel toolpath

Kolson1989

Hello eager newbie wannabe multi axis guy here.

I am trying to use the multi axis parallel tool path to cut a drafted cylinder into a radius.  I am only needing to cut near the bottom of the solid as you can see in my zip.  The plan is to remove stock where the tool path is cutting so that it can be welded.  I have used a curve 5 axis before with depth cuts but am hoping to follow more of the geometry and use the "drive surfaces offset" to adjust. 

Now for my question, there are a few retracts and direction changes.  Is there anyway to prevent this, and just have a smooth flowing path that follows the geometry?

Thanks for any and all help, this forum and member's have been a great help in sharing knowledge.

TEST_CURL.ZIP

Heyo Kolson,

I took a quick look for you.  Right off the hop a few things jump out at me.  

1st is that you're not going to be able to cut this all the way with this tool, as you see it gouges into the back side of the material:

image.png.ea334b33bb729869d9b1d50b448a8b3e.png

2nd is that you've over-complicated it a bit as you might have guessed :) Now, the retracts and such are related to your Collision Control settings:

image.png.820860d8d04c85b52a371c664922d246.png

Which tell it to trim out collisions.. That leaves you with a big gap to get from where you would have started to have collisions to where you wouldn't, and your linking settings kick in from there..

But you'll eliminate a lot of the problems if you set up the toolpath right, so before we play with linking and collision control, let's recap:

Cut Pattern > Curves:

image.png.fb83030feea2d8d97c7b2fac4271f871.png

There's no need for this.  Parallel is designed to take shape/chain/pattern and copy that across all of the surfaces you've selected, which means you're not sure which one it's using to project from with this selection..  Delete all but the last one:

image.png.7dbfcafedced15b38af960848619aa00.png

Tool Axis Control - There's no need to use lines here.  It looks like you just want it to rotate around the Z axis, but 20° off.   So instead of lines, set it like this:

image.png.916fe2d58692d82553999cf42cef5f42.png

That says to just stay 20° off the Z.

Now, when you regen it it, you will only have one approach and one retract, but of course, it's still gouging on the backside:

image.png.464f809b45aeefc4c072ef26f0da4934.png

But now you can figure out which tool you have to cut it with that won't gouge.   Another thing you can do is turn on "check surfaces" on the Collision Control page and choose the back of the channel and the top surface, but of course that's not going to cut as deep:

image.png.176e26d56060345c0603dbaa5701033a.png

Take a look at Op #2.

Hope this helps!

TEST_CURL_-_ACE.mcam

• Like 6

Aaron, 

Something odd is happening, as I was looking threw the parameters of the zip you sent the path went dirty after I exited out of it.  I am 99% sure i did not change any parameters only viewed the lines/surfaces you selected which i now will cause the tool path to go dirty, but this is not the issue.  My issue is that when i regenerated the tool path it came up with a TON of retracts now.  Did I change something? Is my Mastercam set up goofy? I did attach a zip of the toolpath you created so you can overlook it.  

Thanks again for the help/time!  

TEST_CURL_-_ACE_ko.ZIP

Ahh I think I found the issue.

With the collision active, and the current .375 ball selected it will throw a ton of retracts because of the contact with the back surface.  

Multiaxis is such an intriguing thing!  Thanks a million for the help and guidance.  Im trying to learn as I go, and the computer I have is not the most powerful so tool paths can be time consuming to regen when you are not sure what parameters are correct.

Im hoping that my company will send me to some classes to better educate me with this. In the meantime give yourself a big pat on the back! you deserve it!

-Keaton

One piece of advice I received on the multi-axis toolpaths is to only make 1 change at a time. This way you can see the difference if there is any. Aaron's tip on the collision settings is also great advice, get the toolpath working before you add the collision settings.

• Like 1