Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2020 issues

JeremyV

So I noticed when selecting a machine under properties, I have everything pointing to the server since we share tool libraries and operation filepaths…

I set everything to point to the server.  Yet when I pull up a existing file that was made and re-select the machine, those file paths change to the C drive default file paths, which I do not want - happens over and over... whats up with that?  Anyone else have that issue?

1 hour ago, Old_Bear said:

Make sure none of those files are on local box...it has always had a way of running home to the C drive if those files reside there as well

Mastercam still wants to search for those files on the local box and not where it is told to look...

a co worker had this issue on Friday, funny it fixed itself after some use.  this isn't productive tho.

2 hours ago, Old_Bear said:

Make sure none of those files are on local box...it has always had a way of running home to the C drive if those files reside there as well

So, I deleted my config and let mastercram create a new one, copied over my workspace files - reset whatever settings I have in the config to as close as I can remember then I had to go through the pain of setting up everything else the way it needs to be then that seemed to fix it.

The only issue is the autosave box keeps popping up - this wasn't an issue and we do not have prompt before saving checked so I don't know.

I'm basically using the same settings in 2020 as 2019 for machine data path.... problem is  it wants to post it in the main folder and not the sub folder where the actual .mcam file is - just doesn't want to post it there and doesn't want to follow the appropriate folder paths... I hate going thru this every time and when it works, its awesome, when it doesn't, its frustrating.  I don't want to have to do this manually every time we select a machine - that isn't productive.

Anyone has a fix?

• 2 weeks later...

We have not yet upgraded to 2020, but for our situation, so that all workstations are looking at the server to use common tool, machine def, control def, part files, etc… We create a symbolic link. Now you do not need to change any of the data paths. Mastercam will think that it is looking locally when it is actually looking to our server.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Here is what worked for us in 2019:

Selected items data path:

\\companyname\Division\Manufacturing\Programming\

This points to the main directory, but when we are in sub directories where the mcam part files are, the data path would auto change and be part of that directory.

But in 2020, the data path remains unchanged.

Don't symbolic links mean too much work?  I'm at a loss as to how to go about doing that.... since i'm reading off of here:   https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I'm too frustrated with 2020 and for now i'm shelving it due to it being too unstable.

Soo.... we found a fix somewhat.  Seems to hold up....

In order to prevent mastercam from doing what it wants to do, we imported a solid model and saved it to a temp folder.  Then we proceeded to make the changes to the machine definition - file locations and tool database.... then it worked.   For some reason mastercam does not like it when it works from a blank page.

go figure.

Can't you just reselect the machine in the machine group files menu? That is what I do.

More 2020 issues:

In the transform op, You cannot see all ops unless you collapse the top level.

Center drills always cause an invalid tool message in verify.

Chaining edges of faces that were split causes serious issues. It does not always like split face edges for tool paths and tends to go backwards.

When selecting depth parameters for drill cycles in incremental mode the box does not populate with the correct values. It seems to load the absolute values from origin.

Change parameters at point for drilling is totally F'in useless. Is this a WIP?

When multiple drill points are selected and you try to delete individual points, it always deletes the first points instead of what you want.

Other than that, I see fantastic improvements in 2020.

with all the bugs we have found in 2019, and all the work arounds we have to do to get our jobs done, not sure I want to even mess with 2020........used to really like MC now its a shot in the dark whats going to change on a daily basis and what will work this time and not the next.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...