Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

backup copies

TERRYH

We work off of a server and when we save a part it is saved to the server, when we were using X9 I had it set up to also save up to 3 times before over writing a file to a folder on my PC to use as a backup in case something happened, I could go back at least 3 times I saved. When we switched to 2019 I could not figure out how to do it or remember how I did it in X9 because I had done it so long ago, guess I'm getting old. Does anyone know how to set this up so it saves to our server location like normal and to a folder I create on my PC had an issue the other day where a file got over wrote somehow and had to re program it from the start when before I could have just went back and grab one of the backups on my pc. 

8 hours ago, htm01 said:

you can also use auto save

I may be old school, I still manually save before verify, regen on large toolpaths, and now, before i print. 

But  my autosave is set for 15min., there is another that saves inside C:\Users\"yourname"\Documents\my mcam2018\Parts  

If it's not in my autosave 90% chance its in the "Parts" folder.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:49 AM, htm01 said:

under config/files/autosave/backup you set the # of backups

under files/backup files you set the path

you can also use auto save

i used that with save after every operation when i had crashing problems

thanks this worked like I had it before 

Autosave  :shudder:

Most of my files are well over 100 megs with a couple hundred OPS and a load of transforms

Saves generally take over a minute.....Autosave....yeah, no...

I set backups to 5 and as an old user, save and save often.

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:37 AM, Old_Bear said:

Autosave  :shudder:

Most of my files are well over 100 megs with a couple hundred OPS and a load of transforms

Saves generally take over a minute.....Autosave....yeah, no...

I set backups to 5 and as an old user, save and save often.

Back in the day Autosave could really burn you with big files

It would be trying to AutoSave, you wouldn't realize than and continue to work away

while AutoSave was trying to save,,, then ,,,poof.. a hard crash

when the dust settles, filesize = 0,  autosave filesize = 0 a week's work = 0

I doubt that is still the case, but Autosave has burned me so bad I haven't used it since V9 days.

I have a Backup set, pathed to a secondary SSD on my PC with a save increment of 10

and like Old Bear, I hit Save, Save, Save

• Like 1

I use backups too, if a backup saves you even once then it was worth the time setting up the way i see it.  And i normally try to save after every successful tool path. It takes less time to hit save then it does to recover lost work so the better saving habits you develop early on will help you in the future. I probably save too much sometimes, if the save button was an actual key on my keyboard it would be worn out by now lol but i would rather save too often then not enough. 

I used this until they tore it up in 2020. The same settings no longer work the same way. Use to be able to get Autosave saving your files without harassing you. Now it wants to ask you every time do you want to save the file use the same settings that I used since it inception into the software. Looking at the dialog the checkbox asked Save using Active Name. This is a question and by checking the box you want it to save using the active file name you have been using. I don't have prompt checked, but I get prompted in 2020 that I never got prompted using the same setting for all these years. Now was it broken for all these years and was finally corrected or is it broken now and needs to be fixed?

2020 Settings

and you will get this popup every time it saves.

2019 settings and it saved and you never got a popup unless you said prompt before saving file.

1 hour ago, Programinator said:

What if you check the overwrite the existing file name?  That's what I have and it never prompts me

I don't like this choice. I have an existing name and I want the file saved back to that existing name. I make this choice and the system decides to overwrite an existing file that is different than what I had I would never have an idea. We have 2 choices one to save with using existing name or one to overwrite the existing name. In my small little part of the world overwrite means something complete different that save with existing. One keeps the existing name in place and will only save an existing file where as the other can take a different file and save it to a different name and you would never know until you went back to the file you thought was part A only to realize the Autosave made it Part Z because you told it to overwrite an existing file that was A to now be Z. If I am working in Part A then I expect Autosave to save Part A always and never save it as Part B, Part Z or anything else where as with Overwrite I have just told Mastercam your free to create all kind of havoc on what I am doing. If I want to be prompted then I have that choice, but I have chosen not to be prompted because again Part A should always stay Part A when I use Existing where as with Overwrite I get the luck of the draw in my thinking. I am not the Crazy^Millman for no reason. 🙄

Why doesn't that prompt you now like Save as existing is now doing? If the software is going to change things then it should change them same across the board not pick and choose what is now going to be prompted and what is not. I might be in the middle of something on my laptop with it unplugged. With Autosave like I had I never worried if the computer shut off because it would save where I was and I could always go back to that point. Now I can loose hours if not days of work that Autosave was doing just fine until 2020. I now have to untrain 15+ years of how I was doing my work and think about it differently. That I can do, but I know it will take a few lost hours or days of lost work before this new direction will sink in. 🙄

Definition of Overwrite:

If you overwrite a computer file, you replace it with a different one.

Definition of Existing:

that exists or is being used at the present time: