Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating static & live tool holders for lathe

MetalSlinger5

Anyone have experience creating or importing lathe tool holders into the tool manager for verification purposes?

I am trying to create static and or axial & radial live tool holders, etc. for use in Vericut verification software. 

I have been able to do this successfully with all of our milling machines, but can seem to get the lathe holders. 

As noted above, in 2019 & 2020 Create 3D Tool

It's a new process with new dialogs...don't expect to get it right on the 1st attempt  :)

But once you get the order down, it's straight forward

I download my models, assemble into the configuration I want, save that file as a step file and use that step file to create the tool

3D Lathe tools.PNG

3D Lathe tools-1.PNG

However, I guess there is no way to export solids to Vericut from a Mastercam 2019's 3D lathe tool. Actually, you can't get them back in a Mastercam file to manually export them to another software.

With 2020 you are able to export 3D tools solids to a level/file but i still don't know if Vericut interface has been improved to automatically export them.

This is not a CG Tech issue this is a CNC Software issue not outputting the needed information to support 3D tools. I have been told maybe it will be supported by 2021. For 3D tools program them that way in Mastercam.  I create the 3D tools assemblies for each job and save them in a tooling folder for each project. I then import that into Mastercam and Vericut and go from there. Pay close attention to Spindle Direction and need to know that you need to define the tool in the correct position to run it correctly. You have the ability to define it the correct way, but have the spindle direction come out wrong. Then you have to adjust the settings to get that correct.

Another trick I was taught when using 3D tools is to define the insert in Vericut, but define the holder using the Models. Allows Vericut to run more efficiently. If sharing the files across a net work or anything like that then break the CAD link to the models and let Vericut turn them into ply files.