Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine list only shows Default machines

Terrance Kell

This seems to be an ongoing problem when I update to a new version of MasterCam. The only machines available are the default machines, no other machines are shown in the "C:/users/public/public documents/shared Mastercam 2020/CNC_MACHINES". But if I go to that folder all of the migrated files are there. In the past, I could just copy an older  machine list into the new folder, but not this time. does anyone have a remedy for this?    

23 hours ago, Terrance Kell said:

This seems to be an ongoing problem when I update to a new version of MasterCam. The only machines available are the default machines, no other machines are shown in the "C:/users/public/public documents/shared Mastercam 2020/CNC_MACHINES". But if I go to that folder all of the migrated files are there. In the past, I could just copy an older  machine list into the new folder, but not this time. does anyone have a remedy for this?    

You need to run the Migration Wizard to update the files. It isn't just a copy/paste scenario, the files must be updated for each new version of Mastercam. Use the 'Advanced options', and you get to select the "source" and "destination" file paths. For example, source may be something like: "C:\Users\public\shared mcam2019\", and the destination would be something like: "C:\Users\public\shared mcam2020". I believe there is a "search subfolders" option as well.

I would encourage you to read the Stickied thread at the top of the main Industrial Forum page, that describes how to set the Control Definition Default settings. This makes updating Mastercam versions much easier, since all the settings will match the old version, when your CD Defaults are properly configured. 

Even after you update all the files, you will still need to setup your "machine list" in Mastercam, so the machines will be listed in the drop-down menu.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2019 at 11:06 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

You need to run the Migration Wizard to update the files. It isn't just a copy/paste scenario, the files must be updated for each new version of Mastercam. Use the 'Advanced options', and you get to select the "source" and "destination" file paths. For example, source may be something like: "C:\Users\public\shared mcam2019\", and the destination would be something like: "C:\Users\public\shared mcam2020". I believe there is a "search subfolders" option as well.

I would encourage you to read the Stickied thread at the top of the main Industrial Forum page, that describes how to set the Control Definition Default settings. This makes updating Mastercam versions much easier, since all the settings will match the old version, when your CD Defaults are properly configured. 

Even after you update all the files, you will still need to setup your "machine list" in Mastercam, so the machines will be listed in the drop-down menu.

This is great thanks Colin,

I might be seeing what Terrance is talking about as well. In every past version of Mastercam, once I updated the Machine & Control, and Post files, if I sent those files to someone else they could then put then in a folder, and see them on the 'Manage List' window for adding machine definitions to lists of selections.  

If I use the migration utility to go from 2018 to 2019 or 19-20, this list is populated correctly - but if I then grab these now 'updated' mcam-mmd, mcam-control  and .pst (why can't we change that extension already!!!)  and send them to someone on the updated version, they can't see those files in the 'Manage list' window. 

16 hours ago, Tyler Robotson said:

This is great thanks Colin,

I might be seeing what Terrance is talking about as well. In every past version of Mastercam, once I updated the Machine & Control, and Post files, if I sent those files to someone else they could then put then in a folder, and see them on the 'Manage List' window for adding machine definitions to lists of selections.  

If I use the migration utility to go from 2018 to 2019 or 19-20, this list is populated correctly - but if I then grab these now 'updated' mcam-mmd, mcam-control  and .pst (why can't we change that extension already!!!)  and send them to someone on the updated version, they can't see those files in the 'Manage list' window. 

I get what you are saying Tyler. Something about the Migration Wizard will define the file paths in that list "automatically" during the update process. I have no idea where or how that file list is stored.

For anyone who doesn't see their updated files in the list, you must manually "browse" to those machines, using the Manage List... function.

When you select 'Manage List...' the 'Machine Definition Menu Management' dialog box appears.

By default, it will point to 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcam2020\CNC_Machines\'.     (Where 'shared Mcam2020' represents "the current Mastercam version's 'shared folder'.)

If your machines are located in a different folder, you must browse manually to that location by pressing the 'folder tree icon' button in the upper left corner of the dialog.

When pointed to the correct folder, you must then select each machine in the list ( CTRL + Click, OR, SHIFT + Click to select a range of machines!), and press the "Add" button. That adds each machine to the list, so that you can then select each machine.