Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock model work planes

TERRYH

might be a stupid question for some but I seem to be having issues on these I have a part that will have 4 separate operations, side 1, side 2 bottom and then top to finish it, created the first stock model for side 1 no problem using the work plane I had created for that sides work and it was in correct position, after using it to verify my 2nd operation I tried to create another one to do the bottom work and then another to use to finish the top, after the first one I created one using the same side 1 work plane and it processed fast like the first one did but was not in the correct position. and went I tried to switch the work plane to another one it started processing but took forever and has yet to finish. when creating these from the start do I create them all in MC top or what this should be an easy process but starting to get aggravated. 

I use "Top" for the stock models for my first setup.  Then if I'm going to move / refixture the part, I'll create a new plane called "Stock flip op 2" or somesuch as here:

Take a copy of your part model and a gnomon at the WCS for your first operation, rotate and translate them both together until the part is positioned for your next operation, and use the gnomon to define a new plane.  Then make a new copy of your stock model, referencing no operations, and set it to use the new plane.  I do this frequently in X9.

it just gets aggravating because one time it seems to work one way and the next another.  the part I am doing is only 45 x 13 x 6  so it is not real big. the op1 stock model processed in about 2 min or less in the correct position using my first op work plane not (top) on the second oper. I tried using the 1st op work plane and it processed about the same amount as time as the first one did but in the wrong position when I tried switching the work plane and re processing it I let it run all weekend and still processing when I came in this morning...............🤬 and all our parts are created in car position which would be MC work planes, and we do not move them from that position we work from created work planes when doing multi pal operations. 

The processing time being extraordinarily long is a good clue that your planes are probably not correct in your stock model operation. The stock is likely sitting right where the tool/holder pass through, and that starts to cause major stock calculation headaches when it results in things like driving the holder through the entirety of the stock body at odd angles. No need to let it run all weekend, especially if you know that a similar stock model generated in 2 minutes- stop the processing and then take a look to see what's wrong with your planes. A good sanity check is to create the stock model with your plane setup, but without applying any Source Operations to make sure that it's starting in the position and orientation you actually want. Then you can go back in and add Source Operations back in- maybe even one by one, allowing you to diagnose if a particular operation is causing a stock model calculation hang.

It would be helpful if you could post a file that shows how you're setting up your ops and stock- even if it's on a simple sample rectangle- so that we can provide you specific feedback on what you're doing.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

A good sanity check is to create the stock model with your plane setup, but without applying any Source Operations to make sure that it's starting in the position and orientation you actually want.

I do this every single time.  It's such a habit I thought it wouldn't need mentioning, sorry.  It's also necessary if you want to open with a stock aware operation in your second setup.