Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tooling for a special (to us) job

Smit

Wondering if you guys could save me some time. I need to find the tooling to finish a pretty good size casting.

We need a back spot face tool to go through a 11/16" drill hole and back spot face to 1.375 diameter.

We also need to drill, semi finsih, and finish a 1.937 bore to +.001 -0 tolerance. The bore is 10 1/2" deep which is longer than the boring bars we have so we're going to have to buy some to get this job done.

Thanks for any replies!

Do you want an Autofacer, Flip Style Back Facer or Hand load back facer?  

Steiner is a company I have used for several different projects over the years and they offer a great product. Normally what you do is machine a size under your finished size on your hole and use that size as your pilot diameter to do the back spot facing with. Then when it all said and done go back and machine the hole to a fionish size and do any deburring your needing to do.

Catalog Link:

Just about anyone has a good boring system today. I like Big Kasier, Kennametal, Sandvik, ISCAR, and others.

• Like 3

For Boring a hole that big, I'd get a Kaiser Twin Bore. They are expensive, but you really get what you pay for. Big Kaiser has standard ranges that each head will cut, and they make extensions to get the length you require. I'd recommend getting two assemblies, so you can have a rough/semi operation,  followed by the finish cut.

1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

For Boring a hole that big, I'd get a Kaiser Twin Bore. They are expensive, but you really get what you pay for. Big Kaiser has standard ranges that each head will cut, and they make extensions to get the length you require. I'd recommend getting two assemblies, so you can have a rough/semi operation,  followed by the finish cut.

I would shy away from that unless your doing a twin bore with a good enough stagger to allow you to get to the bottom and then index the spindle and shift to a place to pull it out. Might even look at the Komet Reamer if you want to ensure size top to bottom of the hole. By using a any traditional boring system your running the risk of tool wear and not getting the size hole your expecting from top to bottom. One longer bore like this before the Komet style reamers we would bore then hone the holes. Here is a link to what I am talking about:

Komet Modular Reamers

image.png.674622dd14a974caa506765b7e610be9.png

KOMET  DIHART  REAMAX® TS Duo

On 8/5/2019 at 5:51 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

I would shy away from that unless your doing a twin bore with a good enough stagger to allow you to get to the bottom and then index the spindle and shift to a place to pull it out. Might even look at the Komet Reamer if you want to ensure size top to bottom of the hole. By using a any traditional boring system your running the risk of tool wear and not getting the size hole your expecting from top to bottom. One longer bore like this before the Komet style reamers we would bore then hone the holes. Here is a link to what I am talking about:

Komet Modular Reamers

image.png.674622dd14a974caa506765b7e610be9.png

KOMET  DIHART  REAMAX® TS Duo

That looks like a really sweet tool. I doubt we have the quantity to justify the cost but it's definitely something to remember if the application does come up!