Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MC 2018 Wire ---- Why is this so hard?

kugel619kc130

RANT:

So I have been struggling with MC Wire as of late. I work in a mold shop and do pretty basic stuff, mostly simple 2D pockets with large rads on the corners for inserts, and tapered pockets for lifters, sprues, etc. This time around I am trying to cut the actual parting line before we EDM sink the part shape on the ejector insert, and for the life of me MC makes what should be very easy very hard. For the amount of time it takes me to go through all of the operation menus and select or deselect various boxes, I could either create the program in Mill 2d then hand edit it faster, or I could just hand write from scratch the program. My biggest complaints on MC Wire so far are not finding any obvious way to "Pre-Tip" the wire using an Angle, and no way to force it to not use any lead in or lead outs.  When doing tapers, they don't need to be 4-ax. Just tip the wire in the angle I specify and cut a 2d square.

Am I missing something? I have gone through eMastercam's wire book start to finish. Oh...and trying to back-plot this  simple one way cut results in this on my display.🤬

Sorry about the rant...but this is literally maybe an hour of programming tops. I am, tired of fighting the software.

1210797350_IhateMCWire.thumb.png.7a0254fe640489b274b046ac88e2f7e0.png

Best way to not have any lead in or out comp is just hand edit G41,G42 to G40. You will still need a thread and cut point but it wont call up comp.

I can't make out your drawing.

What make WEDM are you using?

Some wires allow you to thread on an angle if its not too severe, or you can use single block- dry run to set your wire to a programmed angle and let it go from there.

Also, you can save your parameters to any thing you wish. Like 2 pass,4 pass, taper, 4 axis and have all the parameters already set. It's been awhile since I have used MC WIRE.

7 hours ago, Del. said:

Best way to not have any lead in or out comp is just hand edit G41,G42 to G40. You will still need a thread and cut point but it wont call up comp.

I can't make out your drawing.

What make WEDM are you using?

Some wires allow you to thread on an angle if its not too severe, or you can use single block- dry run to set your wire to a programmed angle and let it go from there.

Also, you can save your parameters to any thing you wish. Like 2 pass,4 pass, taper, 4 axis and have all the parameters already set. It's been awhile since I have used MC WIRE.

Yes to hand editing the comp in. This is pretty much how I have to do it all the time. Of course, what happens is that I cannot use the Power settings to post multiple passes. I can only have 1 operation with a rough pass, then I have to cut and past the wire path for all my skims then hand add in my E-Pack values, H-offsets, and Feeds. I have templates made up for all the different thicknesses, but this gets old quick.

I even got a single pass roughing operation with no skims generated. I then copied the operation, turned off the rough and turned on 3 skim passes, set my start pass #, and it would not generate. No lead ins, etc. The chaining and all other settings other than to use a skim pass were left the same. Doesn't make sense why it works with the rough but not the skim. No cuter comp, no lead in/out, etc.

I'm using a Mitsubishi MV-20.

As for pre-tipping the wire, I have to trig out the distances I need to move the U (upper head) and X or Y to tip my wire, then I just program off the 2d pocket. I like this because there aren't hundreds of tiny U & V moves in my program.

MC Wire tries to almost take too much control. Most of how I want my lead in.outs and what not I end up drawing the geometry for the toolpath. The image was just to show the craziness of the backplot showing the heads all over the place.

Here is the simple, flat 2d geo.

image.png.ae0a05029433324486d42e094b930a48.png

Edited by kugel619kc130
Upload image
On 8/8/2019 at 9:42 PM, kugel619kc130 said:

Yes to hand editing the comp in. This is pretty much how I have to do it all the time. Of course, what happens is that I cannot use the Power settings to post multiple passes. I can only have 1 operation with a rough pass, then I have to cut and past the wire path for all my skims then hand add in my E-Pack values, H-offsets, and Feeds. I have templates made up for all the different thicknesses, but this gets old quick.

I even got a single pass roughing operation with no skims generated. I then copied the operation, turned off the rough and turned on 3 skim passes, set my start pass #, and it would not generate. No lead ins, etc. The chaining and all other settings other than to use a skim pass were left the same. Doesn't make sense why it works with the rough but not the skim. No cuter comp, no lead in/out, etc.

I'm using a Mitsubishi MV-20.

As for pre-tipping the wire, I have to trig out the distances I need to move the U (upper head) and X or Y to tip my wire, then I just program off the 2d pocket. I like this because there aren't hundreds of tiny U & V moves in my program.

MC Wire tries to almost take too much control. Most of how I want my lead in.outs and what not I end up drawing the geometry for the toolpath. The image was just to show the craziness of the backplot showing the heads all over the place.

Here is the simple, flat 2d geo.

image.png.ae0a05029433324486d42e094b930a48.png

I'm lost as to what you want to accomplish.  For this wire contour, whats with the no comp and no lead in and out. Seems if your power library is correct, you  just set your parameters for number of passes, comp and it should work and post out your offsets and power numbers Mits use.  Mits and Agies are a PIA .

I've been using MC Wire for over 20 years on Mitsubishi Machines. I am currently using MC 2020 to program 3 Mits. machines, one of them being a new MV1200-R.  I have no problem programming  tapers. I don't quite understand what you are trying to accomplish and where your struggles lie.

• Like 1