Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Desktop lathe

MSL

I was going to purchase a mini lathe for myself but then i watched some videos on them, like this one and decided not to. They seem too crappy from what i seen in this video for anything but hobbyist in my opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05vUCdzhoe4

Edit: but i am sure there are some mini lathe manufacturers that make really accurate and good mini lathes, I am mostly just voicing my opinion on the cheap china brand ones so hopefully i am not shooting down your ideas, some of those lathes the person posted above look like much better quality than the ones i am thinking of anyways.

For the Schaublin, unless you have deep pockets forget it. The 70 version (70mm centre height) was around $20k 10 years ago :D

The problem with them all, is they have small bores.  I think there'd be a great market for a 30mm bore 5" chuck 5" centre height machine with a 2MT tailstock and 20" between centres.

That's Mach3 convertible of course...

Precision Mathews has lathes that are said to be higher quality than the grizzly. 

A lot of the Chinese ones should be considered kits and be taken apart and cleaned up.

You can find Atlas and Logan's for sale too. I ordered a grizzly for home but it was back ordered so I ended up finding an old Logan for 1/3 the price

• Like 1

How small of things are you wanting to turn ? I have a Levin Instrument makers lathe, Levin If you are near Riverside you could stop by and see if it would work for you. These are not cheap, but are very nice for small work. Heck mine might be for sale soon and it is pretty well equipped. But they sell new ones still.... it's the accessories that add up. 

1 hour ago, matt m said:

How small of things are you wanting to turn ? I have a Levin Instrument makers lathe, Levin If you are near Riverside you could stop by and see if it would work for you. These are not cheap, but are very nice for small work. Heck mine might be for sale soon and it is pretty well equipped. But they sell new ones still.... it's the accessories that add up. 

Our parts are 5/8 diameter by 5" long. We bought a cheap one. We need to get rid of it after this project. Our safety won't allow us to purchase a machine without UL certification.

Those are nice machines.

Thank you.

• Like 1